1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Is it a nonconformity if

Discussion in 'VDA Standards - Verband der Automobilindustrie' started by Auditor69, Apr 29, 2021.

?

Is it a nonconformity if KPI are set only on each project level and not department/ process?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Auditor69

Auditor69 New Member

Hello,

I've been struggling with a question and I thought maybe you could help me. I am doing VDA 6.3 process audits for SW development departments who work by scrum agile principles. Some departments only have KPI set on project level, by the project manager / PO that they follow but no KPI on a department level. The team leaders check and evaluate the team performance based on the achievement of project KPIs. My question would be the following : would you consider this as a nonconformity during a VDA 6.3 process audit?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Projects usually have objectives related to cost/timing/quality. How do the KPIs relate to those?

3. Auditor69

Auditor69 New Member

Well, have you ever audited a software process that uses agile ?
    Because in my case almost every project tracks as KPI the following : velocity , releases on time (on time delivery with other words, which is in some other departments a KPI that is tracked on dept level), team capacity allocation, number of reworks, number of customer claims.
    Since all these cannot be tracked on department level because they vary based on the projects (we all know, each project has different complexity level, different stakeholders with various requirements and expectations) so it makes no sense and is quite impossible to impose a KPI for these on a dept level.

If you have audited Software processes before maybe you could share your experience with KPI topic and how would you handle the case I presented.

Thank you!

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Because in my case almost every project tracks as KPI the following : velocity , releases on time (on time delivery with other words, which is in some other departments a KPI that is tracked on dept level), team capacity allocation, number of reworks, number of customer claims.

My credentials, don't really matter. Of those you listed here, all are tied to cost/timing/quality. These are always the 3 constraints of all projects.

I agree departments shouldn't or indeed can't be held to account for the overall project, so the question becomes, is your organization failing to understand the basics of effective project management?

As far as VDA goes, in auditing a process it's usually the performance of the process in meeting the goals/objectives set which are the subject of the evaluation. It's usual for an auditor to take a high level viewpoint of the ability of the organization to meet the objectives and, if any/all of the 3 aren't being met, ask what management has done about it, corrective action, to get the project back on track. If the actions mean a specific department is the focus, then the actions will be relevant to them.

In most cases of effective project management, departments don't get individually set goals, the project does.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Nikki likes this.
  5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Let's spin the question around...do YOU, @Auditor69 , consider this to be a nonconformity? And why or why not?

Andy Nichols likes this.