1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

I'm taking on a new system

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by noob2014, Jun 19, 2021.

1. noob2014

noob2014 New Member

Hi all,

So I had my own system at a previous employer. I've now left and am going to be jumping in with a system that has not one but 3 standards..

I did have 9001 and I've now acquired with a new business 9001, 14001 & 45001.

How would you approach this?

I've never really done any reading on the subject of building new system I just sort if inherited it and learnt as I went on.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Noob2014. I've moved your post to the ISO 9001:2015 forum since it's the current version. I'm not really sure what you're asking here. Do you mean you have no experience of ISO 14001 and 45001? Only ISO 9001?

3. noob2014

noob2014 New Member

I have experience with them but im being given a totally new system. So im interested to see what your first approach might be?

i guess you’d probably audit it fully?

4. Andy Nichols

That's where I'd start...

5. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Noob2014!

You did not mention whether your EMS and OHSAS systems are established, mature or just getting started, or your organization's size or what industry you're in.

What is clear is that you need more information before starting to audit. As you know, EHS and OHSAS systems address (among other things) regulatory requirements, so it's important to get it right. ISO/TC 207/SC 1 has published a help page with various documents to help organizations with their EHS systems. I suggest you invest in some so as to enter your role with a more robust understanding.

ISO 14004 - General guidelines on implementation
    ISO 14002-1 – Guidelines for applying the ISO 14001 framework to environmental aspects and environmental conditions by environmental topic areas – Part 1: General
    For those of us who confront confusing terms and clauses, the Technical Committee has published (and updates, so check back once in a while) Interpretations.
    ISO/TC 283 has published a (less developed) help page for ISO 45001. Happily there is a good deal of consistency with ISO 14001 in how the "shalls" are applied.

I hope this helps.

Oleh Haievskyi and tony s like this.
  6. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

From this statement and the part that I put in bold, is it safe to say that there is no existing formal system? Or are you looking to overhaul the existing one in place? As @Jennifer Kirley alluded to, the maturity of the system and your intent with it will impact your next (and likely first) steps.

As you're new to the organization, my recommendation would be to not go in and start changing everything immediately. You're new to their structure and culture. Take some time to learn what's what and how things are set up. Personally, I wouldn't call it an audit; rather, you're more like a 5-year old observing everything and asking "Why?" a lot.

Mehrdad Soltanifar and tony s like this.
  7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

And then know the "whats". The results that your organization needs/wants to achieve, including the requirements to be fulfilled. The people in your organization, the top management and process owners, should have a good grasp on these "whats". Then learn the "hows" of the processes within your organization's existing system/s. Let the process owners contribute in establishing this "new system" that they will support and own.

8. Mehrdad Soltanifar

Mehrdad Soltanifar Member

As others said, you have lots of homework to do first.
    The only thing I can add is that if you don't have previous experience with ISO 14001 and 45001, I recommend you not to go for them, all at once.
    Start with implementing requirements of ISO 9001 which you're familiar with. If implemented correctly, QMS can cover 70-80% of your EMS and OHSMS as well.
    Two books that can assist you with implementing EMS and OHSMS are:
    • ISO 14001 step by step (Naeem Sadiq)
    • Establishing an OHSMS (Naeem Sadiq)

9. Aegis Services LLC

Aegis Services LLC New Member

It’s tempting to think of ISO 9001 certification as something that only benefits big businesses and is simply too difficult for small businesses to implement.

10. Andy Nichols

Many of us have significant experience of doing this in small businesses. Indeed, in the western world, ISO 9001 implementations have been that way for the past 10 - 15 years, as the requirements for certification has been flowed down through the supply chain. Relatively few organizations think it's not for them, because a significant majority of (western) businesses (particularly in manufacturing) are already certified.

11. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

Ummm, stats for that claim might be in order...

I suggest that implementing ISO9001 (regardless of whether or not you get certified) is far more useful for small business than large companies...but having a robust QMS with review (auditing or other) benefits both greatly.
    I suggest that it is more useful for small business since small business tends to have more blind spots than large simply for the fact that they don't have enough free time to go poking around at what's wrong...