1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IEC 60601 Patient Monitor Brightness Requirement

Discussion in 'IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety' started by SZ5261, Aug 31, 2017.

1. SZ5261

SZ5261 New Member

Hi All,

My first time posting here. I am new to the medical industry and device regulations. I would like to know the requirement for a patient monitor LCD brightness. I have tried finding this information in numerous 60601 standards documents but was unsuccessful. Perhaps this is an easy question for those with more experience and knowledge.

I am looking for something like "vital information should be visible from x meters, within y degrees/angle under an ambient lighting of z lux"

Would anyone be able to clarify, or point me in the right direction (or document)? Thanks in Advance.

SZ

2. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

As far as I know, there are no specific requirement and determination is left to you. ANSI/AAMI HE75 touches on these questions but pretty much defers to your usability study to drive the specifications.

3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Would an Occupational Therapist be able to help you out...someone who could understand how devices are positioned and includes the needs of the patient/user?

4. SZ5261

SZ5261 New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe I have found an answer by research. This information relates more to the regulation of Alarm signals than it does to display brightness of the monitoring device. Yodon may be correct that there are no specific brightness requirements laid out for displays. However, 60601-1-8 section 6.3.2 details requirements for visual alarm signals - Since these signals are shown on the display device, these requirements extend to your display device.

Atul Khandekar likes this.