1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How much human error is acceptable?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Briansams, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Briansams

Briansams New Member

Hi. I've come to this forum for automotive quality because I'm sure human error is a huge topic in the automotive industry, but I don't have anyone to directly ask. I can't imagine that auto manufacturers feel that even a single tire falling off of a car, and a family being killed is acceptable, so my question is how do manufacturers ensure that things like this don't happen? I guess the same question could be asked of the airline industry, and planes crashing.

I have a customer that manufactures medical devices. I once saw a board posted that said they had a quality goal of 80%. They were in the 90's, and were proud of this. My first thought though was why are they happy that 20% of their products are defective?

I understand that people make mistakes, but at my company our goals are 0 % mistakes. Every mistake could result in someone dying. Am I asking too much of my employees? I tell them that time is not an issue, and to take as much time as is needed to do the steps to perfection, but mistakes are still made.

So should I just accept a certain level of mistakes because, hey, we're all human? Am I wrong to expect 100 % accountability in my employees, given that they are being paid hourly, and I've told them to only go as fast as they can go and make no mistakes?

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site @Briansams . Not sure of your actual question or intent. However, the following truths exist...

1- Humans are fallible (firing/replacing a human, simply gets you another human).
    2- "Human error" is never an acceptable root cause (see #1)

Be well

3. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

The only way to cut human error is to error proof your designs and processes. This is a proven concept as it is also proven that humans will make mistakes and errors. Both the automotive and aerospace industries know this. They don’t always act on it as they too make mistakes and errors in judgement. STOP BLAMING THE OPERATORS. This is YOUR mistake.

And Remember that not all defects are caused by human (operator) error but by the physics of the design and processes as developed by the engineers and scientists.
    Start looking for root cause instead of root blame…

Miner and John C. Abnet like this.
  4. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

You also have to realize that the customer knows you will make bad parts. It's literally inevitable BUT your job as the supplier is to make sure those bad parts don't make it to the customer. (i.e. scrap identification/containment)

5. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

EXACTLY what @Bev D said.

6. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

All errors/defects aren’t the same. This is where risk analysis comes in.

7. Devesh#89

Devesh#89 Member

it is agreeable that humans do error and if it is possible make process human free but we should not deny the fact that the process is also being made by humans, up to to how much extent you can stop human errors