1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Guidance Regarding Additional Training for ISO 14001:2015

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by qmr1976, May 21, 2021.

1. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

So, in all of my automotive related positions, I have always been involved with the quality side of things. (Document Control, auditing, etc.) However, 5 years ago I accepted a position to oversee all of our auditing programs, which include ISO 14001. Prior to coming here, I had never been exposed to environmental regulations. However, my first month here I took the internal auditor training course for ISO 14001:2015. It touched on various regulations, but didn't dive real deep and to me I feel so inadequate making sure we're being compliant based on state, federal and local regulations. We are considered low impact to the environment and I know that this particular certification is optional, and I would like for our company to keep it as part of our repertoire but is there any additional training out there that you would recommend that would assist me in ensuring our company is in compliance with all regulations? Or maybe there is a company (for a small fee, I'm sure) that could email us notifications of when there have been updates to certain regulations vs. me checking several different websites. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Experience shows this is a great option. Does your Certification Body have a consultant referral program (like NQA does)? You might find such a resource there. I knew a guy once...;)

qmr1976 likes this.
  3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

qmr1976 likes this.
  4. Md. Hasan Ibrahim

Md. Hasan Ibrahim New Member

It's great to see your dedication to ensuring compliance in your role overseeing auditing programs, particularly ISO 14001. Environmental management is a critical aspect of any organization's operations, and maintaining ISO 14001 certification can be valuable for demonstrating your commitment to sustainability.

To enhance your ability to ensure compliance with environmental regulations, I recommend the following steps:

1. Comprehensive Environmental Training: Consider enrolling in more in-depth training programs related to environmental regulations. You can look for courses or certifications that cover not only ISO 14001 but also specific local, state, and federal regulations. Organizations like the National Association for Environmental Management (NAEM) and the Environmental and Energy Study Institute (EESI) offer resources and training programs to help you understand more deeply.

2. Environmental Consultants: Engaging with environmental consultants can be a wise investment. They will provide expert guidance and help you interpret complex regulations, keeping your company up-to-date with the latest requirements. These professionals often provide tailored advice to suit your company's specific needs.

3. Environmental Compliance Software: Some companies offer software solutions that monitor regulatory changes and send notifications to subscribers. These tools can save you time by aggregating updates from various sources and ensuring you don't miss important changes. Examples of such software include Enablon, Enviance, and VelocityEHS.

4. Trade Associations and Forums: Joining relevant industry associations and online forums can also be beneficial. They often provide valuable resources, discussions, and networking opportunities. For instance, the Environmental and Energy Study Institute mentioned earlier is a valuable resource, and forums like EHSQ Community and LinkedIn groups focusing on environmental management can be helpful for staying informed.

5. Regular Audits: Conduct regular internal audits, as required by ISO 14001, and engage with third-party auditors periodically. These audits can help you identify areas where your organization might not be in compliance with regulations.

6. Government Resources: Keep an eye on official government websites, such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or the relevant environmental agency in your country. They often provide updates on regulations and guidance on compliance.

7. Legal Counsel: It can be a prudent step to consult with legal experts who specialize in environmental law. They can help interpret regulations and provide guidance on compliance, especially when dealing with complex or changing legal requirements.
    Remember, your commitment to maintaining ISO 14001 certification and ensuring compliance with environmental regulations is a significant asset for your company. It's a continuous journey, and staying informed and seeking expert guidance are key to success in this field.

Sarvar likes this.