1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

First time in 4 years helping a company pass an audit

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by claudiogut, Aug 12, 2019.

1. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

So a bit of an update with this customer. Basically, they want a way to guarantee a good inspection process that will prioritize their most critical parts and with the ability to handle a sudden increase of incoming parts to inspect. I've informed them that we would immediately implement 100% inspection of critical dimensions and components in shipments of 100 items or less and SPC for more numerous orders.

Any thoughts or tips?

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @claudiogut ;
    Yes, I certainly have thoughts. What is the basis for the determination to "implement 100% inspection" ? Has there been a problem ? (i.e. is this decision based on past performance and data?).

What does the control plan state? (i.e. the contract with your customer, which specifies HOW you will produce their product (including any inspection steps).

I would never recommend adding a cost of quality step unless there is some special cause- past performance, etc..., which calls for it.

"Inspection" is a cost of quality and contrary to "value" (i.e. what the customer is willing to pay for). The goal is to improve the process and reduce/eliminate cost of quality (i.e. "inspection").

e.g. Make a good recipe, buy good ingredients, ensure the process follows the recipe. RESULT: No need to taste (inspect) the soup.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

If these are incoming parts, I would ask the supplier to submit their inspection reports or SPC charts. You can just confirm from there. No reason to re-create the wheel.

4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Why don't you manage AQL? This way both know perfectly percentages of be product to be accepted.
    Hope this helps

5. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

"I've informed them that we would immediately implement 100% inspection of critical dimensions and components in shipments of 100 items or less"
    "Any thoughts or tips?"

Yes...a recommendation...
    If you offer this, determine before you offer it how much extra you will charge.

"We will immediately implement something that costs us a great deal of money. This additional expense will be passed to you in this fashion...."

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Determine first the level of product acceptance of the supplied products. The higher the acceptance rate the lesser need for 100% inspection. If you will perform 100% inspection on purchased products to sort out rejects, you're doing what your supplier is supposed to do.

Dobis likes this.