1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Deviation Procedure

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Gavin, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Gavin

Gavin New Member

All i have a process flow for raising a deviation but it lacks a lot of key information.
    Does anyone have a decent process flow for raising a deviation.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome.

If you share yours Gavin (sanitize as needed) we could point out what's needed?

3. Gavin

Gavin New Member

All

I have placed a copy of the procedure below, Like i said this is very brief and feel there is more needed any help is appreciated

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for this. At first sight I'd offer this:

Take away metrics. They have nothing to do with a deviation process which is simply an extension of the control of non-conforming product.

This isn't a process. It has no defined input. It might (maybe) describe someone's logic, but that's all (and, tbh, that's dubious). A deviation is the way in which you wish to manage a situation of non-conformance and how it is a) approved and b) controlled. It has 3 purposes? Engineering releases? Changes? Probably not. Deviations is deviations, nothing else.

The steps for issuing a deviation are linked to your control of non-conformance. What does that process state?

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

My first question when reviewing the document was the scope. It appears to focus on engineering deviations and not the traditional nonconformance one would expect in a quality management standard such as ISO 9001. With that mindset, my initial thoughts are:

• Reads more as a process flow (or what a former workplace of mine called a 'management standard') than a procedure, but if this is what your organization calls a procedure, so be it.
    • I like the inclusion of measures/metrics on a document such as this, however, I'm not sure these are the best ones for the process flow - take a step back and ask yourself what the purpose of the document is...your measures should support the purpose (i.e., show whether the purpose was achieved or not)
    • The process flow lacks accountability - it says what needs to be done but not by whom and by when
    • The first step presumes that an Initiator knows what constitutes a deviation that would then require a deviation request - that flow (i.e., defining/determining if something is a deviation or not) could help this process a bit more robust
    • If a required deviation is rejected (Judgement decision), I'm not sure if the most correct path is back to the beginning - is (END) not a possibility?

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

The metric and KPI should be aligned with the expected outputs of the process and should be measurable.