1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Daily Checks for coating

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by S1D3K1CK, Jan 31, 2023.

1. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Hello all, I am up against something I am not familiar with. We have to perform daily sample test, per substrate. Our requirements are: Dry film thickness (mils or microns)(tolerance provided by coating manufacture), Dry adhesion (5B,4B,3B etc.), Scratch hardness (2H, H, F, HB etc.), Wet adhesion (5B, yada-yada) and MEK solvent resistance (pass or fail).

Is there any calibratable equipment available in order to perform these test? Preferably one setup. Also, what typical inspection report is used for documentation?

2. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Have you tried referencing the AIAG CQI-12 Coating System Assessment manual for guidance? Coating isn't what we specialize in, but we have a sub-supplier that coats parts for us. Probably not much help here, but just thought I would throw that out there. :)

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Can you share some background (specifically since this is the IATF group) - did this come from a PFMEA as a response to a failure mode?

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  4. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Thank you! I will be sure to review that.

qmr1976 likes this.
  5. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

This resulted from reviewing a requirement for adding a secondary coating supplier, for future capacity issues and reduction of lead times. The new coating supplier is capable of meeting all the requirements per our customer with using the approved powder, but the CSR states all new coatings suppliers are required to submit test samples for initial approval, complete daily testing on all substrates provided to the customer (retaining all inspection reports) and annual testing to maintain approval. Plus, they would like to introduce a new powder.

6. Andy Nichols

OK, if I understand this isn't what your organization does (apply coatings) but a supplier? In that case, can't you/shouldn't you be using their capabilities to perform the testing? Correct me, if I have it wrong, but you shouldn't be doing these tests (at additional cost and risk) when the supplier - or an independent lab - should/could?

7. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Andy, I agree 100% with you. I believe there could be misinterpretation with who they are referring to as the "supplier" at that point. It could be that they are referring to the Tier 2 supplier (coatings) is responsible for the testing, lab results and other requirements and the Tier 1 supplier (us) is required to maintain the approvals and providing necessary documentation to the Tier 2.

8. Andy Nichols

Where is this “requirement” defined and by what function?