1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Context of the Organization-ISO9001:2015

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by MCW8888, Sep 5, 2015.

1. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

This concern was raised up to the Moderator group. After some discussion, it was decided to leave the 4 threads related to 'Context' as stand-alone discussions. While all of the threads are related to 'Context', the actual specifics of each thread are different and the conversations are focused on these slight nuances. As well, to merge them together at this point would result in a very disjointed and confusing thread.

QFO is still relatively new and we recognize that people are not accustomed to using the 'Search' function before starting a new post. Over time, as our threads and subjects grown in numbers and scope, Moderators will start to promote the use of the 'Search' function.

It is also recommended that individuals use the 'Report' function (located at the bottom of each post within a thread) if there any concerns or recommendations.

Should you have any questions, please contact a Moderator.

Thank you and happy posting! :)

2. brylle

brylle New Member

hi Mam am new here and I'd like to ask if you have a sample for clause 4.1 and 4.2 of ISO 9001:2015

3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Brylle,

Welcome to QFO and congratulations on your first post!

I am not quite sure I understand what you asking and suggest that you create a new thread and provide more details on what it is you are looking for.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Tony Wardle

Tony Wardle Member

So, what I have done to cover these practically is ....

For the Context - I have put together a 2016 plan.
    It looks at the macro and micro environment of the economy in general and of our industry.
    - done a PESTLE and SWOT analyses
    - identified interested parties
    - described the strategy for the business and substantiated this with budgets for the year.
    - looked at my training plan, equipment purchase plan
    - set KPIs and objectives for the business including inter alia, turnover, profitability, sales targets, production efficiency targets, reject and rework targets, cost of quality targets, staffing breakdown and service to breakdown targets.
    - Looked at utility costs, and set some targets for utility use for the year.

In terms of interested parties -
    We have really listed these with a short paragraph on each - (they are picked up in supplier management, customer management, the financials and our legal and regulatory register)
    The list includes -
    Shareholders
    Staff
    Customers
    Suppliers
    Governmental bodies
    Regulatory bodies
    Financial institutions

This may or may not be how others may see this or reconcile this, but certainly, its the route we are taking.

Hope this adds some value, and welcome to the forum - (I am looking forward to when its the size of the old Cove)

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The way I understand the Context is that it describes what your organization is in the marketplace - so you can set appropriate policy and objectives. It's an "anchor" for the policy to prevent establishing some gran quality policy and, hence objectives, which are "pie-in-the-sky".

What IS your context?

6. Tony Wardle

Tony Wardle Member

The context IS the macro and micro environment. Or to quote yourself -
    This leads to the strategy, of which,
    Then using both the idea of a good business plan and the requirements of the standard, I discuss the resources required, the planning, the evaluation.

The objectives are set from this plan.

The concept of RBT is excellent IMHO. Let me elaborate
    We have been discussing whether or not to continue with a product line.
    There is a certain quantum of fall out. The question we then ask is - what is the acceptable level of quality in terms of cost should we proceed with this product. Does the opportunity costs vs return make the product viable. If so, we need to accept that there will be a level of fall out that is commercially acceptable. The QMS measurements and the business plan will need to take this into account.

I am not saying this is particularly correct for every organization or every interpretation possibly, but it is the method I have chosen to follow - in keeping with the notes 1 - 3 in 4.1.

7. Andy Nichols

Great stuff, Tony in terms of the process by which you came to your context. Can it be stated in a simple sentence? Or perhaps I'm missing the point of what the context is?

8. Tony Wardle

Tony Wardle Member

Andy, I think you summed it better than anyone could.

within in the requirements of the standard.

9. Andy Nichols

You mean I'm not getting it? After your work on all those things you describe, what is your organization's context?

10. Tony Wardle

Tony Wardle Member

ie PESTLE analysis and SWOT analysis.

Maybe its me .... but this seems pretty straight forward. No, I think you get it. ;)

TimTim likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

Nope, still lost. All those definitions etc don't help one bit. What is your organization's context?

12. QualityNoob

QualityNoob Member

OK, so I'm finally rolling my sleeves up on analyzing the 2015 standard to determine what changes we need to make to our QMS.

After reading this thread thus far, I'm not sure I know whether I need to change anything. I read section 4.1 and think that if an organization is not doing the things required of section 4.1, it is just working in an ivory tower and is unlikely to be in business long (to say nothing of establishing or continuing ISO 9001 certification). When I ask myself whether we are "determining [and monitoring information about] external and internal issues relevant to [our] purpose and strategic direction", etc., etc., I believe the answer is "yes" as I continually observe our management team and staff engaged in conversations about the types of issues covered in 4.1. How could any organization do otherwise?

But then (as with many of the requirements of the ISO 9001 standard), I am left to wonder how much time and effort I should put into documenting that context given that is constantly changing and not specifically required to be documented. My philosophy is that I don't want to add anything (process, document, record, etc.) to our QMS solely to provide evidence of conformity to the ISO 9001 standard if it is not specifically required and does not otherwise not add value.

Thoughts?

13. Andy Nichols

If the context of the organization is constantly changing, then I'd suggest something's very wrong...

Management review is the place to "document" the context...(once it's stopped constantly changing)

14. QualityNoob

QualityNoob Member

Perhaps I should retract the phrase "constantly changing" in favor of the word "dynamic" or perhaps "constantly evolving." If the context of an organization wasn't dynamic, why would we be required to monitor information about it? If the competitive landscape is part of the context of the organization, might that not be dynamic (depending on the industry)? Is it possible that laws governing the products or services produced might change?

Regardless, thanks for suggesting management review as an appropriate place to document.

guyweyburne likes this.
  15. wywy2020

wywy2020 Member

anyone with idea on how to link Context - interested parties expectation - address risk and opportunity?
    appreciate if u can recommend tool of each:
    Context - PESTLE model?
    interested parties expectation -??
    address risk and opportunity-??

guyweyburne likes this.
  16. Jamie Lill

Jamie Lill Member

You nailed It!!
    This is what Context of the Organization is.
    This is what I will use. Very clear concise and to the point!

17. Andy Nichols

How about a simple statement in your management review "retained documentation" (records)? Simples!

18. Jamie Lill

Jamie Lill Member

The standard says you have to monitor and review all of these issues.
    This looks like a full time job

19. Jamie Lill

Jamie Lill Member

Does it have to be this long.

I think context should be the vision statement.
    Only a couple of lines. That's it!
    Do we need only to list one or two items as the standard need the organization to monitor and review.
    Now there is no definition of monitor or review.
    this means we could look at it one and give the thumbs up or down in a meeting and meet the standard
    Maybe I am way off base, but I do not think so.

20. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

The vision statement is usually expressed as a goal, rarely does it encompass the particular environment of the business. I agree it should be short and sweet, but I do not think (most) vision (or mission) statements would really cut it.