1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Best course of study for CQA re-test?

Discussion in 'Professional Certifications and Degrees' started by TommyB, Oct 11, 2021.

1. TommyB

TommyB New Member

Hello everyone.

I recently took the CQA exam and failed (Prometric remote testing).

I studied using an older CQA primer and a few online study courses. I thought I had done well so it was a bit frustrating.

Can anyone guide me towards the best material for studying? Are the prep courses on ASQ website any good? They are expensive but looking for any advice.

Thank you.

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Welcome TommyB!

I am sorry you did not pass your exam.

It has been some time since I served on the editors team for Certified Quality Inspector exams. Our first task as Editors was to take a copy of the exam into a room with all of the listed reference materials in the BOK, and find the answers to the questions. What I noticed then, as well as with the numerous exams I have taken (I failed the CQE exam once) was that - whether they meant it to or not - the ASQ Handbook for that subject was most often the best "hit" for the answer. I used the Primers at first, and decided that the Handbook make better resources because their indexes are better (the index is your friend!) and the Primer is too bulky for my taste. Turning those pages in the giant binders is a time consuming pain. I have found errors in them too.

I have found it helpful to take practice exams; research the questions in your resource(s). I have found I learn more when studying this way, versus just reading the material.

Other tips:

1) I have found it a waste to take more than three sources with me to the exams; they are too much to dig through on test day.
    2) When taking the exam, read through the questions and answer the ones you know, through to the end. With the remaining time you can research answers of those you passed by. If you are like me, you will also find an answer to an additional question you passed by.
    3) Unless you very clearly find an error you have made, resist the urge to second guess yourself and change answers.

I hope this helps!

BradM and TommyB like this.
  3. TommyB

TommyB New Member

Thank you Jennifer for your helpful thoughts and advice. I will be purchasing the ASQ certified quality auditor handbook, and also looking into online resources for practice exams. I did get a breakdown of which areas I need to focus on for the exam.

4. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

When I failed my CQE the first time (passed the second) what I realized was I didn't have good prep materials that I was comfortable and able to look stuff up. To me, that's a key point.

So to Jennifer's point above, the first I had one book, the second I had two, the first was a CQE handbook with tabs I placed on them. The second was Juran's quality handbook. I was able to find most everything between these two.

Also like she said, those practice exams available are great resources. While the questions may not be the same, they are similar. Time yourself on those. Keep yourself diligent in answering them and looking up the answers in the reference material you will take into the examination.