1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Auditor Cites Wrong Clause for Non-conformance

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Golfman25, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

How to handle a simple situation. Auditor cited the wrong clause when issuing a non-conformance. Situation is auditor asked some personnel what their "metric" or goal was. They flubbed the answer to the question. The answer was "on-time delivery." I know for a fact that they know the answer, because they are ultra concerned about meeting it. So much so that I frequently have to reassure them that "it's not a big deal" because we work with customers to expedite and de-expedite production into their facility and we have some flexibility on actual "due dates." Otherwise, they would be a wreck for not meeting the goal.

Anyway, like I said they flubbed the answer. No big deal. Auditor issued a non-conformance. But issued it against 6.2.1 - citing establishment and communication of objectives is not effective. In their evidence, they admitted that the objective was posted (i.e.; communicated) but the employee didn't know the metric. Problem as I see it is that 6.2.1 doesn't deal with knowledge of the metric, just communication. 7.3 (b) does however directly address awareness of the quality objective. So the NC should really be against that clause.

So do you appeal and ask them the throw it out as invalid against 6.2.1? Or do their work for them, and ask to change to 7.3? Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I’d write and appeal it, since it’s grasping at straws anyway - particularly if you can demonstrate you meet OTD objectives overall. People don’t do well in audits. He was lazy in writing it.

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Golfman25
    By my own admission, it can be challenging for to select the "correct" clause when citing against. There are times when clauses tend to 'overlap' and, for example, when an organization is nonconforming to one of its own internal process requirements,...which is consistent with but not same as the ISO standard requirements, etc..etc...(you get the point). Yes, it sounds like they've identified the "wrong" clause, but regardless, that is not the issue here.

The issue is the auditor (from what I infer from your OP), is simply using a 'GOTCHA!' moment to write a nonconformance. If the organization's associates collectively have no understanding/awareness then there may be a concern. However, it is ridiculous to write a nonconformance for a single 'wrong' answer, if/when a single associate , when prompted can identify and speak to a given objective.

Remember, 'we' are only hearing one side of the story, but based simply on your description I am in agreement with @Andy Nichols and any appeal should not split hairs about the cited clause, but instead address the auditor's logic (and competency??).

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

4. Andy Nichols

^^^^ a much better explanation!

5. Golfman25

While I understand some clauses can "overlap" the issue here is clearly the wrong clause -- it's clearly a 7.3 awareness issue. Like many places, we kind of have an education/language obstacle to navigate. When you start using terms and jargon, even when translated, they still can get confused. We did better years ago when we coached, I mean trained, right before the audit. But I wanted to get away from that and see if things could just run without a lot of pre-audit prep. And for the most part that has worked. Our last auditor was great, he really worked hard to phrase and rephrase questions to get the response he knew they could give. But, it was probably harder than it should be. I am not that concerned about the finding itself, as it is a weaker area that can be beefed up.

However, I am a stickler for getting things right when I am paying, what $1500 a day or something. Especially when you're holding me to the fire. When it was brought up, I thought it was "fair" but assumed it would be documented under 7.3 awareness. Boy was I wrong.

6. Andy Nichols

You’ll appeal the finding, then?

7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Since there's evidence that the objective was communicated thru posting, the issue should not be raised against 6.2.1f. If the workers know what was posted and are ultra concerned on meeting it, I don't see why a CB auditor will raise an issue about communication or even awareness. No one would be ultra concerned on meeting "something", if they don't know this "something".

Could this be an issue of lost in translation? Did the CB auditor use a language that is alien to the workers? According to @Golfman25 , the auditor asked what the "metric" was. The workers may not be acquainted with the auditors choice of words. CB auditors should have the language skills to effectively communicate with persons at any level of an organization (See A.2.7 of ISO/IEC 17021-1:2015). The previous auditor knew this.

etorresg and Andy Nichols like this.
  8. Andy Nichols

^^^ What Tony said!

9. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

The main question in my mind is, "Is this a valid issue?"

If Yes, but the NC called out the wrong clause, the clause is not the issue - do we really want to make it the issue?

I would not issue a NC for a single instance of inability to parrot the goals and targets. If I call out a failure of awareness of goals, it will be based on multiple examples of process people having no awareness about how their efforts contribute to customer satisfaction (providing Customer Satisfaction is a company goal). But I am not the manager of this auditor...

And so, the basic question is: "Should we increase awareness of goals and targets?"

etorresg likes this.
  10. Golfman25

I agree. It's splitting hairs and in the big picture probably makes no difference. However, with these standards it seems like splitting hairs is the norm, rather than the exception, so I would kind of like my auditors held to the same standard.

But here is the issue. Every NC requires are root cause and corrective action. If the issue is communication, then isn't the focus on the communication methods. Maybe I need a bigger chart, pretty colors, more posting areas, a muti-media presentation, etc. If the issue is employees could not articulate an answer to the auditor's question and thus seemed to lack awareness, then the focus is on the employees and maybe additional training/competency reviews.

If I do the latter, re-train the "offending" employees, could an auditor not say that doesn't address the ineffective communication of objectives.

11. Andy Nichols

The real issues is that the OEMs (IAOB) expect the CB auditors to know as much about the commodities as the SQAs do. That will never happen, so instead, they raise fruitless findings in the false hope the OEMs will believe its working…

12. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Then why does CB auditors need to tie the issue against a particular clause? Why don't CB auditors just report a NC against the standard without mentioning any clause?

I agree with @Golfman25. The statement of a NC facilitates proper identification of the cause, correction and corrective action by the audited organization. The specific requirement (exactly what the organization has committed itself to do) that the auditee failed to fulfill should be clearly identified, including the objective evidence (exactly what the organization has or hasn't done that contradicts the requirement) of non-fulfilment seen by the auditor.

It is just fortunate that someone in the audited organization is well-versed with the clauses of the standard and knows where to tie the issue against a specific requirement.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  13. Jennifer Kirley

I want to make sure I am not misunderstood. The issue is the important thing, concerning your organization. Focusing on the clause called out is not irrelevant - we have to call out clauses, it's required - ideally we call them out correctly. The remaining question is: "Should we increase awareness of goals and targets?" But there can be some perspective not made clear here. It is hard to know what was on that auditor's mind - how he decided that establishment and communication was the actionable issue.

From the sound of it I think the NC is pretty weak anyway. I suspect the auditee may have been nervous. I wonder too if the auditee did not understand how that metric applied to him and his work. Now that would be awareness, but if so why was he not aware? Now we're in a loop.

BradM likes this.
  14. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Great read through here!!
    I think my post would be... Devil's Advocacy here. Or minimally... Old man yelling at the clouds...

I think I understand the notion of the requirement and of course, agree, organizations must develop objectives and measures of success. Otherwise, everyone will be in their own little world, with goals and priorities in conflict. So to the issue here of the goals and targets, when would an organization know they have satisfied this? Employees are to memorize them? Are the goals and objectives the same? does outside marketing have the same as shipping/receiving and are they communicated/ stressed the same?

Gotta be honest... I couldn't recite the organization's goals and objectives if asked. I do know where the quality policy is posted; but that's about it. I can guarantee you the organization has them and had communicated that on some platform, but I don't know if I can repeat them right now if questioned.

To me this is not an N/C, but maybe an observation. I don't dismiss the burden auditors have... write too many and you frustrate the organization and their management; write too few and you weaken to the quality program and the value of whole process. If the auditor found a rampant lack of attention to the clause, then an N/C. But just because someone answered a question from memory during an audit incorrectly doesn't mean the organization is nonconforming.

15. Andy Nichols

Amen, bro!

BradM likes this.
  16. Jennifer Kirley

I don't know the organization's goals (what the OP originally asked about) but I can recite one of mine: zero late audit Supplier Corrective Actions. What I could not do is say that without losing my composure and having to adjust my face.

BradM likes this.
  17. Golfman25

Agreed. It's in the eye of the beholder. This was our 6th audit under 2015 (finishing our 2nd cycle). Our original auditor retired, so we had a substitute for this one. He spoke to employees and as long as they gave him the gist of what he was asking, he was good. The new one -- all I'll say is young, inexperienced, and a PIA.

BradM likes this.
  18. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you'll have to train another auditor! LOL!!

19. Jennifer Kirley

What are these goals that the auditee was supposed to know?

How is the communication done now?

How is the progress/status to the goal(s) made known to the workers?

Was it only this one auditee who did not know? If not, how many out of how many were audited - I take it this was in production?

20. Andy Nichols

In which case, since the CB recruited this auditor without apparent care, I’d encourage you to file an appeal and exercise due diligence for others in the community who will be persecuted by such facile findings.