1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Audit of Remote Support Functions

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Marcin Solecki, May 10, 2023.

1. Marcin Solecki

Marcin Solecki New Member

Hello.
    My company uses the support function of the parent company from abroad (e.g. sales, design support, warranty).
    Last year, the support functions company lost its IATF certification. This year, they are approaching re-certification.
    Their audit (Phase 2) will take place after our surveillance audit.
    My question:
    What should we do in such a situation? As I understand it, we are facing an nonconformity, because the support functions are not certified at the moment.
    Should we implement the above support functions into our organization? Can we commission an additional audit to the certification body to audit the parent company?
    Has anyone encountered such a situation?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome:

I'm not sure I understand this. I believe a support function is only ISO 9001 at most. The parent lost its IATF certificate? Did they not maintain ISO 9001? Is the CB different for each site?
    If you know the situation and the time line of the support function's certification audit, why not ask your CB to delay (if it's a matter of weeks.). You could take the extra cost of your CB visiting the support site. Do they operate in that country?

3. Marcin Solecki

The parent company produces similar products to ours for the automotive industry. It is certified by other CB. They support us in several areas, e.g. sales or warranty. So, as I understand it, it is enough that they maintain ISO 9001? Don't they need to have IATF for support functions?

4. Andy Nichols

As a remote, support site to your IATF 16949 product manufacturing site, they simply need to be ISO 9001. They, technically, can't be IATF 16949 without another manufacturing site.

5. Andy Nichols

Your corporate Quality people need to revisit this decision...IMHO

6. Marcin Solecki

Than You!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Hello Marcin,

The question I see is why your organization continued to use "support function of the parent company from abroad (e.g. sales, design support, warranty" when they were noncompliant? What is your process to ensure compliance in this area?