1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Audit Non-Conformance

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Golfman25, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

So, where there's smoke...

You've probably been given an easy ride in the past. Some CBs don't have any kind of controls in place to ensure their auditors (under whatever arrangement they have, contract or staff) have an appropriate understanding of anything to do with an effective audit! I've heard they some times actually hire their customers' management reps - once or twice a year, which sure isn't going to produce an effective result.

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

You're right. 15 years of an "easy ride." Those other 4-5 auditors where all clueless.

It is readily apparent to me that something has changed regarding interpretation/enforcement, and not for the better. It has now become all about auditor satisfaction and CYA.

3. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Andy's advise is right. There is an appeal process which your auditor should make you aware. We are on the same boat. Unfortunately the TS auditors are being pressed to find non-conformances. May I suggest that during the closing meeting, if you are not satisfied with the nonconformance, please ask the auditor the read the standard verbatim and the objective evidence of the nonconformance? This way you will know how to fix it. Regarding effectiveness, did the auditor gathered enough facts to show effectiveness? If you are afraid to appeal, then ask the CB for a Customer Satisfaction Survey form and evaluate your auditor's competency.

4. Andy Nichols

The expectation hasn't changed. It's always been that the CB auditor should know as much as (some of) the customers's SQAE who used to audit suppliers. It's a practical impossibility, but they keep raising the bar on qualifications and monitoring auditors/CB performance. Even back as far as QS-9000 auditors could use "judgment" so not much has changed in that respect.

BTW - I didn't imply anyone was "clueless" just for the record. But the bar HAS been raised on their performance, as it has done across (certain) sectors.

5. Golfman25

Just a question. What level of experience do you have with TS in the past 12-14 months?

6. Golfman25

I did appeal and it was worthless. But I basically found out that just about every NC I received was the result of a corrective action the CB had to do. So if they got something on supplier monitoring, so did I. If we didn't have the specific "document" they needed, we were dinged. We where actually told during the audit, if you had this piece of paper it would only take 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, it is a little late in the game to get a new CB. But I will be looking for next time.

Sidney Vianna likes this.
  7. MarkMeer

MarkMeer Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity: I presume this is an on-site audit? If so, is it not standard procedure to have a closing meeting with the auditor in which findings are discussed?
    ...did you have such a closing discussion? Wouldn't this have been the first checkpoint for clarifying clauses/findings/evidence?

...don't we all... :(
    I find myself often regretting not saving some of those threads for future reference...

8. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

Very interesting and just PROVES the point that if your organization's CB is under heightened scrutiny by their oversight agencies (AB's, IATF, IAQG, Quest Forum, etc...) YOU might end up "paying the price", as well for their alleged poor performance. Most organizations are clueless and utterly oblivious about their respective CB's performance, until their accreditation gets suspended and/or revoked.It would behoove certificate holders to do a better job of doing due diligence on their respective registrars.

MCW8888 and Andy Nichols like this.
  9. Andy Nichols

A lot, actually, just NOT with your CB!

10. Golfman25

Yes, but for the fact that he had to race out for a plane. The problem is that the clarifications are questionable at best. It's a lot of "because I said so."

11. Andy Nichols

That's a bad auditor. Anyone who can't dedicate the right amount of time and not plan their audit day around that, and make travel arrangements to suit, isn't interested in the client.

12. MarkMeer

MarkMeer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think this is not all that uncommon (at least in my experience).
    Auditors allocate specific tight schedules, then end up going on ranting tangents in the midst of the audit that throws the whole schedule off...so by the end they are super pressed for time. ...in their defense, I could see it being difficult to stick to a strict 4-day schedule and still accommodate the invariable discussions/tangents/difficulties that arise.
    ...that being said, there should be some leeway for closing discussions. To me these are critical. If the auditor leaves without you having a clear picture of what'll be in his/her report, and why, this is a problem...

13. Andy Nichols

As Sidney put it: It would behoove certificate holders to do a better job of doing due diligence on their respective registrars.

14. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Very wide credential and highly recommended.

15. Tom Waite

Tom Waite Member

$0.02 - Nothing is better than a professionally run CB that has high standards for their auditors; and they are out there. However, with that said, you are still relying on the requirements, the interpretations, and the evidence available to prove the shall is met. There are many ways to audit, I recently had two separate TS audits in the same week, one in one facility and a different auditor in the second facility. The auditors approach could not have been more different, and their interpretations were slightly skewed however the audits were both productive and effective. One was laid back and felt "easy" because of the auditors demeanor and approach, the other audit felt difficult and combative; yet the same system was being looked at.

Point being, the CB can control the methodology and make every attempt to have high standards for their auditors, but they are not clones of each other and being able to satisfy the requirements with your system while at the same time balancing value added effort should lend itself to a successful audit. In the event the findings raised are not agreed to, as offered already, use the system to appeal and go from there. 90% of the audits I have been involved in have been extremely productive because of the "debates" I have been in on interpretations and have helped me learn a lot; while at the same time adding value for the most part to the system and organization.

In the end though there is always the fact that "sometimes the dancing monkey has to dance - even when he does not like it." Waiteism #25