1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Are FMEA and Risks Registries adequate against Clause 6.1.1?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by tony s, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I think ISO TC176/SC2 meant to retreat from simple concepts like yin and yang; they did revise their guidance document (it used to describe opportunity as "the upside of risk.") Now opportunities can also have risks. We just need to consider them, weigh them, decide if and when actions are appropriate. Risk is merely the effect of uncertainty. We usually think of it as a bad thing, but is it always? Wasn't the Post It Note the result of a failed super glue experiment? Uncertainty led to opportunity, which of course had its own uncertainties (they had to start at the beginning to market a glue-that-was-not-a-glue) but it turned out to be a good risk didn't it?

2. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

H Jennifer

I work in a print shop, not a risky business, Could I use for risk, a fishbone

where I could identify possibilities of risk (in man,material,procedures,etc.), that way I take actions over those found.
    Is it possible?

Thanks for your help

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

That is an intriguing idea. I haven't seen it yet, but why not? It sounds creative and could work. All that's left is to find a way to link those identified risks to the "what-next" steps: consideration, decision, action, results.

Qualmx likes this.
  4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

There's no required approach. You can be creative. However, don't limit your analysis to address risks only. Address also the opportunities.

5. leyladonmez

leyladonmez Member

Hello,

When we worked with consultant for IATF last year, he suggested us to add “not achieve to process indicators” in to threat section as risk in SWOT.

And we added “not achieve to A indicator, not achieve to B indicator, not achieve to all indicators etc.” As risk into the threat section.

But this year IATF audit said that if you didn’t have any problem about achieving to target of indicator you don’t need to see it as a risk.

Maybe yo can put it in stake or in action plan section.

Briefly he says if you didn’t have any problem about an item you can’t put it in threats as a risk.

Which one is true? How we can manage this issue?

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Not having any problems doesn't mean there are no risks. A building might have never caught fire since the time it was built but why does it have fire suppression systems.

leyladonmez likes this.
  7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Neither! Your consultant doesn't understand that the ISO 9001 requirements are attempting to have the organization look at these issues at a strategic level - the word is right in there. Not meeting a target isn't strategic. It's tactical. AUditors also don't understand this aspect, so make all kinds of random comments which go to compound the confusion.

Have your management done a SWOT analysis or similar? What are the strategic risks/opportunities? What (strategic) planning is in place to address the issues you've identified and develop the QMS processes to address them?

That's what this is about.

leyladonmez and John C. Abnet like this.
  8. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @leyladonmez
    Expounding slightly on @Andy Nichols good council. "Strategic" implies more macro / broad level concepts. If you are using a SWOT (a good tool), consider Strengths and Weaknesses as more local "in house" aspects (e.g. succession planning, maintenance effectiveness, control of documents, etc...) and Opportunities and Threats as more macro (strategic) aspects (e.g steel tariff impacts, competitor growth or contraction, customers opening into new countries or markets, power company selling to a new controlling owner, etc..etc..).

Hopefully these examples will help you when determining your strategic approach to opportunities and threats (risks)

Be well.

leyladonmez and Yukon like this.
  9. Andy Nichols

I'd somewhat agree with John, except to say that my experience with this aspect has shown that the S & W are internal, and can still be strategic. For example, in the USA in manufacturing, we're running low on skills. Most high schools don't have any kind of "shop" technology class, so grads have never had hands on with basic metal or wood working tools (many schools don't have chemistry either). This may result in an organization developing (with a local education provider, like a community college) a fully fledged apprenticeship program. This is likely significantly different from any current training process and will need to be developed to deliver the quantity of people, with the right skills to provide for the short-fall being projected.

10. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Indeed...good point.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Im with Paul Simpson's idea.
    The opportunity can be detected /treated apart from the risk, in fact , in other Time.
    First is detected, then is evaluated according to the benefit, if is Worth to take it or not .
    What at I did, I used SWOT at strategic level, and have a list of improvements, into it, are the detected opportunities, while at operational level , when an OFI is detected, is added to the same list.
    Why to overthink this issue?

12. Andy Nichols

I think this is too complex and not what the standard is actually looking for. I'm not sure what you refer to as an "OFI", but I'm guessing that it has little to do with the "risks and opportunities" mentioned in the ISO 9001 requirements. A quick look at ISO/TS 9002 gives excellent coverage to what the Quality Management System is supposed to be considering. All this discussion of risk registers and what auditors "think" (who really cares what they do?) has little to do with the practical identification of the "issues" mentioned in the Context section and then the Planning section of ISO 9001. People run the actual risk of making things far more complex than is really needed. Don't forget, the standard is written in terms that far less sophisticated businesses all around the World can understand and implement. Let's make this easy for management to a) grasp and b) support because it's valuable. Mixing "improvement" and risk has no place in a QMS. They are fundamentally different things.

tony s likes this.
  13. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Tonys
    other way to address opportunities is to add a column on your fmea register, and to identify if such risk has an opportunity an apply What is needed.
    If you want to analyze both at the same time.you can do it apart in other control