1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ANAB wants to audit our auditor auditing us...

Discussion in 'Registrars (Certification Bodies) & Registration' started by normzone, Oct 13, 2015.

1. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I never judge my CB auditor as useless. They are being controlled by the ANAB. Another auditor could be just as bad. If I really want one, I could request a specific name Auditor who may not be working for my CB. I do my best to show case our business management system to any 3rd party auditor. Thank you.

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I wish ANAB had more control over auditor behavior. The fact is, most of the auditors in the CB I contract audit for don't get witnessed. Even then, it's verifiably true that our behavior changes somewhat (even if that just means being more careful about what we say) when we're being witnessed. In addition, some AB auditors are themselves a foul ball...

That said, I have been influenced by my experiences with them. It is useful to get close-up, in-person information about what the AB wants. I've received validation in one case and guidance in another. I can pass this on to my trainees, but after they are qualified I can't control them just as I can't control the behavior of my co-auditors.

This is why I agree that ours is a service organization. If our representative (auditor, customer service rep) is not providing a value-added service, by all means ask for another.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I learned of a situation - many years ago - when a CB acquired the services of an auditor to be witnessed, just for the purposes of gaining accreditation and nothing else...:eek::rolleyes:

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  4. Jennifer Kirley

Well, it is a requirement of accreditation isn't it? I don't expect many of us would go through it if we had choices! :D

5. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

When I was a member of the Registration Management Committee under the AAQG, we had a situation where a couple (actually married) of AS auditors had been witnessed 5 times in the same year for 5 different CB's. Talk about professional witnessed auditors....I am sure they were commanding premium dollars from the small CB's they assisted with AS accreditation.

It is time for unannounced witnessed audits, both by CB's and AB's. Also, the Market Surveillance Visits must be enhanced, in order to augment confidence in the process. A well executed Market Surveillance Visit would be much more valuable than witnessed audits, in my estimation.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Jennifer Kirley and Andy Nichols like this.
  6. tlonkey

tlonkey New Member

My company just went through a witness audit process last month. It was strongly recommended by our CB that we allow the audit to be witnessed. In our case our normal auditor was the person doing the witness audit. The new auditor, as some of the other posts in this thread described was indeed very careful and "by the book" during the audit. We received 4 minors during the audit. My take is that 1 of the minors could have really been just an observation and 2 other ones were justified. The remaining minor was troubling because the auditor wanted to write it as a major immediately without any explanation or discussion from myself and my team. The Witness auditor actually had to talk the auditor down from the major to a minor NC for the same reasons that I was attempting to explain. So in my case this was good that the witness auditor was familiar with our operation and processes. I understand the need for the witness audit but it is really stressful for everyone concerned, especially for the company paying for it.

7. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

Please forgive me if I interject as an impartial ;)observer with history. In the days both when I was auditing and when running the operational or accreditation side of a CB I and we had many audits. As has been mentioned the quality of the audit depends on the competence of the AB auditor. In much the same way as the quality of a CB audit depends on ...

I always looked forward to the process and tried not to change my approach. After all 'Quality means doing it right when no one else is watching.' The issue of soft grading is relatively new and reflects pressures from both sides (client and CB) to offer a 'friendly' service. The whole issue IMHO creates confusion and the sooner we can get auditors to: raise findings based on fact rather than opinion; clients to treat findings as valuable feedback (whatever their grading); auditors (again) to provide accurate grading of findings based on evidence, the better the whole process will work and the more confidence customers will have in certificates.

As a customer when I see watered down findings on an audit report for one of my suppliers the supplier and the CB both slip down in my estimation.

8. Jennifer Kirley

I think auditors feel performance pressure when being witnessed, similarly to our client's auditees; the less experience, the more stage fright and greater caution, and perhaps tendency to over react. We may well feel as though if the audit takes a nonconformity it is our fault...

I have never had an ANAB witness auditor talk me down from a major; the opposite happened, he indicated other ANAB witness auditors would have given me a NC for issuing my minor NC as a minor - he said it should have been a major. His case was interpretation of "systemic" and our interpretations differed. I presented the matter to my manager and she agreed with my interpretation.

So, it seems there is variation in auditors at all levels. We just have to live with it and try not to over compensate.:rolleyes:

9. Claes Gefvenberg

Claes Gefvenberg Moderator Staff Member

We had a witness audit just two weeks ago, when we were audited for ISO 9001, I4001, 50001 and OHSAS 18001. The Witness Audit concerned ISO 50001, and we had three auditors and one overcoat roaming the premises for four days... End result? No problem really, apart from yours truly being knackered by the end of the week... :cool:

Paul Simpson and Jennifer Kirley like this.
  10. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Congratulations for a successful audit!

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.