1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

4.2.3 Control of documents

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by wywy2020, Oct 9, 2015.

1. JCIC49

JCIC49 Member

This all comes back to ownership of the system. If the users are using the documents as part of their daily work, it will be easy for them to identify any deviations from the process. These deviations will then be identified and action taken to determine if they are appropriate and changes made or not.

The key aspect is having the latest version of the document at the point of use, in a format that the user can understand and will use. It is important that the user feels they can raise any issue with regard to a deviation from the process without either QA or Management coming down on them for deviating from the process, but working to address the issue.

All of this will help build and effective document management system as part of an effective QMS

Pancho and PaulJSmith like this.
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure it's always "ownership" of a document that is the real issue. It's (frequently) the design of the management system. We read a lot about those who post "I wrote a procedure" or similar and it appears (at least to me) that this is a unilateral action, without the input of a process owner, users etc. In such a case, who would want to own it? When you see some of the formats of documentation, done in the name of "ISO", it frightens me that some expect - demand - compliance and you've got to read past all manner of nonsense to get to the relevant bit (I didn't say "useful")...

We tend to believe there's something immutable about a document which has been created to comply with ISO 9001 etc. My take is, unless it was done with collaboration and approved by the process owner for use, it's never going to be of much (practical) use.

3. JCIC49

JCIC49 Member

Andy

I agree in referring to ownership I mean the people who produced the document who should always be the user.

If it is written for them they won't own it even if it is correct at the time of writing. QA should help in producing the document to ensure it is in compliance.

You can have the most compliant document, in terms of meeting the requirements of the standard but is not useable, it is a waste of time.

Jon

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

While I don't disagree on the value added to an organization by having an intelligent audit program, to use said program as the "catch" to evaluate if process and documentation align through evolution is, in my opinion, reinforcing the "here come the police" mentality that many continue to feel towards auditors and those associated with a QMS.

When a process is introduced and/or revised and/or deemed obsolete, part of the change management process should be to ascertain the impact on documentation/standards. In some cases, new or additional documents may be required...or existing documents revised or rendered obsolete. The Process Owners and Subject Matter Experts should be the ones to do this.

That being said, using Paul's second scenario where the operator is slowly, over the course of time, "devolving away from what's required", again, I wouldn't rely on the traditional internal audit program to catch this. A system-wide internal audit is a snapshot in time that more than likely will not look at every documented procedure or work instruction within the organization. It takes samples from the QMS and is hopefully flexible and dynamic enough to take suitable actions based upon the results of that sampling.

However, for the daily routines performed by staff, the process owner and/or SMEs should be the ones evaluating the process, associated documentation and results. I've seen this done through an audit-like approach, regular team meetings to discuss the results of metrics, and a few other ways. While it may entail an audit, per se, it's the people who are living and breathing the process taking ownership for their own checks and evaluations, leaving the higher level internal audits to focus on more strategic and value-add approaches.

Sidney Vianna likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

"Here come the police" is fostered, not by the scope/objective" of the audit, RB, but by behaviours. Behaviours based on the 3rd Party audit model most people use including, not sitting down with management to plan the scope/objective of audits, issuing a calendar of audits irrespective of business issues, paying more attention to opening/closing meetings and grades of nc reports, etc. I could go on...

6. RoxaneB

And many organizations mirror the CB approach via their internal audit program. We've seen examples of that here and in our former home. Organizations may not be able to change how 3rd party audits go, but they can change their own behavior. I am a fairly vocal advocate that there is more value to be gained from an internal audit than an external one. We're looking at ourselves in the mirror. We have the opportunity to be our strongest critic...and strongest champion.

With New Year's quickly approaching, resolutions will soon be made by many. One of the more popular ones is "To lose weight." Having a bunch of people tell us how is all well and good, but it is up to us, as individuals, to do the work and change our lifestyle. Family and friends are a great support and they can recognize our efforts, but the actual efforts and results will only happen if we take action ourselves.

It's the same thing with an organization attempting to develop a value-added QMS. Make it work for you...not the CB.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. Andy Nichols

^^^ So true! I'd like to see a different model of internal audit training used, but it seems that few see anything inherently "wrong" with what's been taught for the past 25+ years - yet those same people don't see that those behaviours don't get good results (unless making a CB happy is your aim).

8. RoxaneB

As with many aspects of education - from grade school to university to professional development (such as documentation systems and auditing) - it is tailored to provide a general understanding for the majority of the users. If we are fortunate to have opportunities to test the theory - such as lab work or mock audits - great...but it's still done in a controlled environment where little innovation or self-discovery happens. Yes, I recognize that there are exceptions to that...life is full of exceptions. The point is that academia is controlled and limited and has boundaries so that we all learn the same things in the fairly consistent (and unchanged) way we are taught.

It is up to us as the students to figure out how to apply that knowledge. This is the message that is missing from those auditing courses. We're taught the fundamental tools. We're given examples of what the CBs use (and often they're the ones teaching the course). We learn the requirements. We learn the expectations. What we are NOT taught...or told...is the importance of making it work for us and our organizations. Everyone needs the tools and knowledge first...you need that foundation. But to develop a robust, sustainable and eventually mature system, a good student will question how the foundational knowledge will add value to the organization and minimize waste.

Sidney Vianna likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Probably time for another thread...

10. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

How insightful, Roxane. Excellent comments all around. As discussed so many times at The Cove, internal audits are one of the biggest wasted efforts many organizations self inflict. Given the proper context, resources and expectations, internal audits could be one of the most powerful tools any organization could have to drive evolutionary and revolutionary improvement.

Unfortunately, too often, internal auditing ends up being a "go through the motions", pretend to audit exercise where very little is gained. If oversight entities, such as customers, regulators and certification bodies, were more demanding of the effectiveness of internal audits, forcing organizations to elevate their internal audit game, the business world would be a much better place.

11. Mikishots

Mikishots Member

When I come across this situation, I usually remind the process owner about 4.1 (c). I inform them that if the criteria and methods in place describing the process are not current or accurate, then the effectivity of the process operations and controls can't be shown.