1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) from RAPS - is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'EU Medical Device Regulations' started by VinayN, Jan 3, 2016.

1. VinayN

VinayN New Member

Hello,

I've been doing some online research to understand the value and recognition of the RAC certification from RAPS. The overall opinion seems to be split; while some RA professionals feel that since RAC is the only known certification in the regulatory domain, it definitely adds value, whereas there are many who feel that on-the-job experience in dealing with regulators is invaluable/irreplaceable.

For someone like me, with some background in RA and trying to move into a full-time regulatory role, RAC seems to be like a good credential to have on the CV. But the cost of the exam (USD 525 for non-members/USD 425 for members) plus the study material (USD 300 onward), is steep to say the least.

Wanted to get opinion from the group if the RAC certification (EU or Global) is really worth the investment. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Rgds,

Vinay

sayaka likes this.
  2. Jim Hagenbaugh

Jim Hagenbaugh Member

I agree with your finding that the opinions are really split on the RAC. IMHO I think that is true of all certifications in the QA/RA field. The certification by itself will not open any doors, but it may prevent them from closing as quickly if the rest of your CV is a bit light in an area.

I also think it is dependent on the type of position. If your path is consulting the more certifications the better, because an expectation exists the certification adds to your experience. I have not seen that in the industry sector as much, there it is more of a differentiator between equally qualified candidates.

Personally I have an expired CQM cert and obtained a RAC (US) last year. It is quite an investment, but if it puts you in line for a promotion or opportunity it becomes real cheap investment. In my case it was a personal challenge to see if I really knew what I thought I did.

sayaka likes this.