1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Control Plan - 1st Edition Guidance Needed

Discussion in 'APQP and PPAP' started by qmr1976, Apr 16, 2024.

1. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Now that AIAG has broken up the Control Plan and APQP manuals, we're in the process of converting all of our control plans to the new prescribed format. However, I'm getting stuck on a few items that we had previously included in our control plan, that I am now questioning if they even need to be present at this point. 1st Article Approval and Part Validations (Both done on an annual basis)....should these even be part of the control plan if they are covered in a procedure? Also, what about Safe Launch plans? I'm assuming this would just be part of the pre-production control plan? I just need some no nonsense advice on these two items because I have hit a wall, so to speak in getting these control plans completed.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I've always adopted the view that the Control Plan is what you do to Control the process. Anything over and above that, which are generally required by customers (for example) such as 1st Articles and or Validations/Layouts are definitely NOT process control! Safe launch is, what you say, pre-prod. As I was explaining to someone recently, all these tools are just our "best guess" at the time of launch. so once we've run some (PPAP or similar) then we get to tweak as necessary. They were never intended to be "perfect" at the start.

qmr1976 and Miner like this.
  3. qmr1976

Thank you! That really helps! I can always count on you for straight forward advice. :)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. bkirch

bkirch Active Member

Say you are an IATF certified supplier to GM, Ford, and Stellantis among others, is there something written that states we must go by the control plan requirements stated in the latest AIAG Control Plan manual?

It looks like we will also need to make some updates to our current control plan format based on the latest AIAG control plan manual, but I have been struggling to find something written that states our control plans must meet the requirements of the latest AIAG control plan mannual. I am probably missing it.

5. qmr1976

I attended the webinar that AIAG conducted back in December of last year, and they gave an implementation date for the Big 3 of 6 months after the new publication, which would be September 1st, 2024. I'm not sure if this information is published anywhere else, but I'm guessing they might update their customer specific requirements accordingly?

6. qmr1976

Oh and they also said that we would need to pass down these changes to sub-suppliers.

7. Andy Nichols

In all these shenanigans, we must not lose sight of the fact that AIAG doesn't actually represent the North American automotive manufacturers and their decisions. Which is partly why we have - after quite a few years now, the (excellent) AIAG-VDA FMEA handbook, but no clear "nod" from the OEMs at to when transition to that method is to be completed...

8. qmr1976

Really? I thought they had representatives from all of the Big 3 OEMs participate in the revisions of the AIAG manuals.

9. Andy Nichols

They do, but it's a "side gig", a bit like sitting on a committee as far as I understand.

qmr1976 likes this.