1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

PFMEA - Part rev level

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Robert M Sutton, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Robert M Sutton

Robert M Sutton Member

We have a customer that we have made or make over 50 different parts for. Not once have we documented the part rev level on the PFMEA. Customer requirements (Supplier Quality Manual and Supplier Supplemental requirements) do not call for part rev on PFMEA. We do not include part rev level on PFMEAs for any of our customers.

When submitting a recent PPAP a customer SQE indicated that we had failed to document the part rev level on the PFMEA an provided the following:

"In order to have “documented information control” as per IATF 16949:2016 Clause no. 7.5.3.2.2 the latest change level has to be updated in “all applicable documents”
    7.5.3.2.2 address engineering specifications. Organizations are required to document processes describing the review, distribution and implementation of all customer engineering/specifications, and any revisions that are related based upon customer schedules."

I would greatly appreciate your thinking on this. I'm struggling with seeing 7.5.3.2.2 requiring that part/print rev level be on PFMEA.

Thanks
    Bob S.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2024
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Bob and welcome!

Firstly, I'd offer that customer SQE people do all manner of things "because they think they can". No-one really cares if they understand what they are citing when they reference IATF requirements etc.
    You are correct, IMHO. The SQE is taking a giant leap of misunderstanding. 8.5.6.1 Process change control.
    This is simply an opinion.

Did this feedback come as an audit finding which you must address?

3. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Beyond what IATF says, per AIAG PFMEA prescribed format, it requires this information. Even in the new AIAG FMEA handbook it at least requires the revision date. Is there a reason you left this information off? I'm surprised they are just now noticing it but I don't know how long you've been certified either.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2024
  4. Andy Nichols

Yup, revision of PFMEA
    Nope, not required

5. Robert M Sutton

Robert M Sutton Member

My post may not have been clear. Our PFMEAs most definitely have a revision date & level. The customer is indicating that IATF 7.5.3.2.2 requires that the PFMEA also include the part print rev level. We do not and have not included part rev level on PFMEAs. I have no issue with adding the part print rev level to the PFMEA in support of meeting a customer requirement however, I'm not in agreement (with our customer) that 7.5.3.2.2 requires that we do so.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

My apologies...I was thinking of the control plan that requires revision level of part. The new FMEA format does not require it, even though the old format does.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. Robert M Sutton

Robert M Sutton Member

My post may not have been clear. Our PFMEAs most definitely have a rev date and level. Our PFMEAs do not include part rev level. We can of course add part rev level to meet customer requirement. My issue is that the customer has communicated that we are not in compliance with 7.5.3.2.2 because if we were, the PFMEA would include the part rev level in addition to the PFMEA rev level.

8. Robert M Sutton

Robert M Sutton Member

No audit finding. Just a customer who is communicating that we clearly do not understand the standard (7.5.3.2.2) because if we did, we would include the part rev level (in addition to the PFMEA rev level). I do not interpret 7.5.3.2.2 to mean that part rev level is to be included on PFMEA however, I could be wrong (I'm married and therefore know how to wrong) so I thought I'd reach out to the professionals and all knowing people on this forum.

9. Andy Nichols

No, not wrong. A simple case of an SQE who believes, despite all around them, that they are the only ones who are correct. When you consider that processes and process failures are discrete from any version of a design blueprint - drilling a hole is drilling a hole, regardless of rev A, B or Z - it's difficult to comprehend why an SQE wouldn't understand that.

10. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

In addition, the same process may be used to run hundreds of different products. Are you going to list every single product and its corresponding rev level?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Does the IATF standard these days even incorporate the AIAG forms/Manuals? I know it comes up and they are required by customers, but these AIAG manuals seem to take on a life of their own.

12. ccoles3

ccoles3 New Member

Hi All, for us, with PPAP, we have found it has been better to make on generic PPAP for the Operation. Then the job is to remove the production operations that don't apply, rather than starting from scratch. I work in Aerospace, and everything needs a PPAP and a Control plan. The generic approach really helps us. Of course, when we introduce a new process that we haven't done before, then we can use the PPAP effectively to pull out the unknown risks. Suddenly, PPAP becomes a useful money-saving tool rather than an admin exercise.

Andy Nichols likes this.