1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

NADCAP is my auditor ooc?

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by andic, Jan 9, 2024.

1. andic

andic Member

Snappy title to get more opinions. In the middle of our NADCAP audit and I’d like some feedback before closing meeting on Friday. We are quite a large embedded metals testing lab, chems, mechs, metallography and I am responsible for one of the two chemical analysis labs.
    We analyze C and S to ASTM E1019 and got a minor NCR for the following observation: acetone for rinsing samples was decanted from 5l bottle into a wash bottle. Big bottle had a label that showed it had residual solids <.0005wt% as required by the standard test method and a manufacturer’s batch number. Wash bottle should also be labeled with the details of the big bottle for traceability.

We disagree (1) we only have one grade of acetone and it purchased under a controlled PS from approved suppliers, (2) it’s used to wash off excess water from the cleaning process, it’s not part of the analysis, the spec requirement is set at such a level specifically in order that it doesn’t require consideration, (3) if such traceability was required a replaceable label on the bottle would not actually do that and delicate questioning revealed that auditor did not think it necessary to put these details on the original record for the test, (4) if we accept this finding the next step down the road to assign batch numbers to the tap water used to cool the samples during grinding which is IMO ridiculous.

also on another NCR where the observation amounted to us exceeding the standard (using more different certified reference materials than required) auditor said “if it looks like you are going to fail (too many NCRs) then I will forget about this one”

I disagree with the finding, but the statement after we argued back shows to me that the auditor is backtracking but trying to save face, which isn’t covered in the checklist

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I feel your pain! Here's what I have experienced and understand about PRI's NADCAP and MEDACCRED programs: Never argue with the auditor. They are deemed "experts" and, as such, it seems they have an immutable believe in their abilities. I encountered it at the highest levels in PRI. With no viable alternatives, the best I can offer is "suck it up"...

3. andic

andic Member

Thanks for your reply, not what I hoped to hear but practical at least. No point taking it to the PRI staff engineer? Do you think they will just back up the auditor?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It’s been my experience that, because these people are considered “experts” (regardless of their interpersonal skills and other valuable auditor characteristics) the home office will support their decision.