1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Deciding Vernier Caliper verification tolerances

Discussion in 'Gage Calibration and Uncertainty' started by MonsterEnergy22, Sep 20, 2023.

1. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Good Morning,

I'm hoping some one can be help me, this will be a very brief & basic question.

We currently verify our Digital Vernier Calipers in house against a set of externally-calibratied slip gauge blocks.

When writing the calibration/verification procedures, there was no original equipment manufacture's tolerances stated so we decided upon +/- 0.2mm (it was literally just decided) , we've been happy with this since then.

However, a new mechanical engineer expressed his shock when he heard this and said it should be +/- 0.01mm , I didn't really have an answer for him as to why it should/shouldn't be as such.

We have our material tolerances specified for all types of materials, for example, cutting lengths of steel material has a tolerance of +/-1mm,

obviously if the vernier had a reading error of 0.2mm this could potentially result in non-conforming materials.

Is/are there any resources available to better understand this process?

I greatly appreciate any replies as always.

Have a nice day.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The general industry practice is a 10:1 ratio. Thus if measuring to 1mm, the equipment should read to 0.1mm and be verified/calibrated with something which is 0.01mm

3. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Thank you for your reply Andy & apologies for my question of a rudimentary nature. I appreciate your help as always.

Whilst the concept of a 10:1 ratio and your explanation is perfect, are there any recognised documents that go into detail regarding the 10:1 rule?

EDIT:

as a thought,
    I've verified my Vernier that reads to 0.1mm with a calibrated item that reads to 0.01mm.

How do I decide the acceptable tolerance limit? for example as I stated earlier, I allow for +/- 0.2mm deviation from the nominal value?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

5. Md. Hasan Ibrahim

Md. Hasan Ibrahim New Member

Selecting the right tolerance for caliper verification is crucial. While +/- 0.2mm may suit some applications, precision demands, especially in manufacturing, often require tighter tolerances like +/- 0.01mm. The choice depends on your specific use case and the acceptable margin of error. Consulting industry standards, collaborating with experts, or referring to equipment specifications could provide insights for a more informed decision. Best regards

6. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Hi Hasan,

Fortunately, my organisation doesn't require anything extremely precise.

Since posting this thread I discovered a R&D general tolerances for manufacture, to which many tolerances were "0.01mm", based upon that, I moved to 0.01mm :)

Andy Nichols likes this.