1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

UK Funded courses - any good ones?

Discussion in 'Training - Internal, External and Web-Based' started by Dotty101, Oct 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Dotty101

Dotty101 Member

I happen to have a college 1 mile from my house and was checking out the courses.
    Upshot is that I ended up doing an L2 cert in Lean Management.

There are some distance learning courses there funded by councils all over England (not just ours), and this happened to be one of them - but most of them are not in my field. GDPR is perhaps the only other one worth doing, but I'd rather find something less dry lol.
    It wasn't that easy to find funded ones with that college, so it's even harder trying to find out if there are others in the country.

So...does anyone know of any good quality/improvement (maybe safety) courses which are funded?

Thanks in advance :)

p.s. looking for funded ones that don't exclude you because you already have a degree, or require you to be on benefits etc.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What disciplines?

3. Dotty101

Dotty101 Member

quality/improvement (maybe safety) courses

4. Andy Nichols

You mention your “field”. What’s that?

5. Dotty101

Dotty101 Member

Much the same as anyone here. The local college has funded courses in mental health, early years, elder care, coding, social media etc. but only a couple relevant to business improvement or management systems (nothing on supply chain, human performance, investigation).
    There doesn't seem to be a smart way to retrieve a list of all funded (accredited) courses across the UK, and I don't want to start going through them one by one. Hence the shout out.
    I would specify exactly which part of quality or exactly which part of safety, but my suspicion is that there aren't that many available, and I'm open to broadening my knowledge either way.

6. Andy Nichols

Since you are in the UK, if you are seeking a career - or at least education - in Quality, have you joined the CQI? https://www.quality.org/

Dotty101 likes this.
  7. Dotty101

Dotty101 Member

Apologies I assumed everyone was a quality professional of some kind.
    Yes I'm a CQI practitioner and lead auditor in 9001, 45001, 14001 & 55001.

I'm specifically interested in accredited/recognised (but funded) training relating to quality/safety/business improvement etc.

8. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

I'd be interest to hear what you find on this Dotty.

Dotty101 likes this.
  9. Dotty101

Dotty101 Member

10. Andy Nichols

Dotty: When you mention "funded" - for those readers who may be unfamiliar - what does that mean for a UK resident? In the USA, we have a number of state and federal government programmes which fund individuals' learning (but I'm an ex-pat so don't have recent in-country knowledge) I do, however have many friends - including a professor at the OU - who might prove useful in answering.

Dotty101 likes this.
  11. Dotty101

Dotty101 Member

There are a number of councils throughout the UK which will support learners for distance learning courses. In essence, as long as you complete the courses, they cost you nothing (you pay a fee if you do not complete it). I live within a council area that will fund level 2 courses. So I'm wondering if there are courses elsewhere (which may be more relevant to quality/safety/business)?
    There's other options if you're a young'un or I think low income, but this council funding isn't means-tested, and has few limitations/requirements.
    https://www.btc.ac.uk/students/essential-information/adult-course-fees/

12. Andy Nichols

A limitation would be living within the "catchment" area?

13. Dotty101

Dotty101 Member

No. I happen to be nearby to a college, and did the course from there, but people across England could do the same course at my local college (distance learning). Therefore I expect that other colleges in the UK have similarly funded courses. What I don't know is...what relevant courses are out there.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.: