1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Automotive componets or regular component for product that is used in Auto

Discussion in 'APQP and PPAP' started by Aleksejs Grigorjevs, Sep 8, 2023.

1. Aleksejs Grigorjevs

Aleksejs Grigorjevs New Member

One of our customers is developing a new product, but he is having difficulties finding an SD card holder that is automotive-certified. Can he use regular components, will he be able to get the necessary certificate for use in the car, this product is an addon for the engine.
    Can we as manufacturers be able to make IMDS for PPAP if the Customer uses non-automotive grade components in his design?
    What is your experience with PPAP / PSW if some parts have no IMDS?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What kind of automotive certification is this referring to?

3. Aleksejs Grigorjevs

From my understanding if the component is tested according to one of these tests http://www.aecouncil.com/AECDocuments.html
    It receives classification, for example, resistors are tested according to AEC-Q200, and then they can be used in automotive industries. But I can not find anything about connectors,like PN MEM2085-00-115-00-A.
    To me, it looks like they do not require any testing and can be used in automotive industry products.

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I would exercise extreme caution. While my automotive experience is rather dated now, I am current in the use of many types of connectors in moderate to harsh environments. Automotive applications definitely fall into that realm. Connector issues can frequently arise from exposure to airborne chemicals that corrode/oxidize the connector materials, use of incompatible materials, or from fretting from vibration, both of which you would see in an automotive application. Connectors that are perfectly suited to an office environment, such as in a desktop computer would not survive in automotive.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. Aleksejs Grigorjevs

As We could not find a suitable SD card connector, we have suggested to the customer to replace the connector with directly on the PCB soldered flash storage that is automotive certified.