1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Instant measurement machine calibration

Discussion in 'Gage Calibration and Uncertainty' started by russell nugent, Feb 13, 2023.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Hello again

I have an issue with our IM machine in view of an up coming certification audit . We have a measurement machine that carries out all our SPC checks and some first offs . We had a long winded email followed by an onsite visit explaining why it doesn't require calibration . Lack of moving parts , how image is captured and number of megapixels ect . This wont get us by IATF clauses .So I am looking for slip / block gauge manufacturer and also a dimension range as we measure a mixture of small (clip width) and large (length and width) dimensions . Any help or advice would be appreciated .

2. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I would suggest going with a few gauge blocks and ring gauges to demonstrate the ability of the equipment to correctly measure a feature. However, that is NOT 'calibration' per se, as if you find the equipment is unable to meet your requirement, you are unable to adjust it.
    Without knowing what other types of features you use it to measure, I can't suggest anything else specifically at this time. If you can provide more information, I would be happy to give my input on it.

3. russell nugent

Thanks for the reply
    We measure plastic cosmetic automotive parts . We measure areas such as length , width and height that can range from see snips below .
    We also measure graphic positions , symbols across part for x and y position . The machine is a keyance and it also records our SPC data .

upload_2023-2-14_13-29-44.png
    upload_2023-2-14_13-31-48.png

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Such Keyance machines are common. How does the OEM say other IATF certified users meet the requirements? You are not unique in asking how to meet requirements like this.

5. russell nugent

I think I received a 3 page response tell us why we dont need calibration . Lack of moving parts , pixels , camera cabability ect . There later came back with a cost for something called a graticule and a calibration cost of£3500 .All very confusing . Internally we are thinking of blocks or pin gauges.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Let me check with someone I know who uses such a device…

7. Gejmet

Gejmet Member

Hi, why not, as part of a regular method of working, measure a reference artefact/s with known quantities and plot these quantities on an Individual moving Range Chart? Any signals would indicate an issue that's worth following up and fixing, anything else indicates that all is well and nothing has changed.

So, instead of reacting you are preventing and optimising and you have the evidence you need to convince when you require it.

Hope this helps

RonR Quality Pro and Miner like this.
  8. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Russell what about a glass scale artifact? This would have X Y scales and geometric dimensions. Would this work?

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  9. russell nugent

Possibly , but the class or grade would need to be manufactured to a very high quality . 1/10 accuracy

10. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member