1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

5s visual display central or line side

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by russell nugent, Oct 24, 2022.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Going through a 5s drive at the moment and trying to establish the best way of displaying 5s audit scores and work to list . Looking for suggestions to whether it should be line side ( although I don't like paper everywhere ) or central location/board or screen ???

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Line side. K.I.S.S

3. russell nugent

Dare I ask , what is K.I.S.S

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It's an American expression: "Keep It Simple, Stupid". Or "Keep It Short and Sweet"... - you choose! ;)

The essence is, as with most things, the simpler the better - don't over complicate things and create a monster which then must be fed. A white, dry erase board etc is low cost, easily maintained, mobile, low expertise and so on.

5. andic

andic Member

Whatever you do try to stick with the format for a decent period of time. Everyone has to understand it, get used to it, learn how to feed into it and see it driving improvements (or not). Months not weeks.

In my previous job we had several top down quality/lean initiatives in rapid succession. We had department KPIs, 5s then something else then settled on something a bit like OODA. I left soon after (not related) but my enduring memory is of the pressure from directors asking "is the quality room ready" "have the special boards arrived" "plant B have got their boards up; get over there tomorrow and see how they use them" "the format has changed get rid of the boards and we need to find a bigger room......."

Whereas all the real improvements I have ever seen have come from 2 sources, (1) audit NCs, (2) employees who really care seeing a problem and trying to fix it. (1) gets usually enough attention through the quality system but if you can find a way to use your daily quality activities to support (2) you can expect great things. (imho)

6. russell nugent

Yes I agree with your last points it has to feed across daily activities and scope , thanks for the feedback.