1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

The definition of remote supporting function and remote supporting location

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Mina M, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Mina M

Mina M Member

I am working as in-house translator for an ISO certification body, and I am stuck to translate the two terms appeared in the same paragraph not sure how I can make it distinguish from one another in my language. (and what's worse, no colleagues are not sure as well.) Could you please anyone help me clarify the difference in definition between "remote supporting functions" and "remote supporting locations" ? Thank you!

2. Vintage Goose

Vintage Goose Active Member

Hi, I dont have a copy of the standard, but I would say that Remote Supporting Location would be the physical site, office or address; whereas Remote Supporting Functions would be a description of the work they do there. eg the Location could be "London" and the Function could be "Purchasing".

Mina M likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Mina: Welcome! I'd suggest that someone at the CB you work for should have a copy of the IATF "Rules" document and the actual IATF requirements document. The very latest version of both(released in November this year) defines a "supporting location". Since certification to ISO/TS 16949 - now called IATF 16949 - doesn't (from my reading) define "remote location" per se, except to say that a supporting location can be at a "remote location", by which they mean not as part of the manufacturing site (even if it's next door or across the street, city, state or in another country. Simply, multiple or single supporting locations may have single or multiple supporting functions contained in them. Hope this helps.

Mina M likes this.
  4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Without getting into specifics, my company has a remote support function (i.e., functional group responsible for the global support activities) that has multiple regional locations from which that support is provided.

Mina M likes this.
  5. Mina M

Mina M Member

Thank you very much for your explanation with an example! It's very clear and now I am getting understand the basic difference!! Thank you!

6. Mina M

Mina M Member

Hello, thank you again for your response to my question and detailed explanation! Now I got the idea, what supporting locations and functions mean. Supporting functions may be in the supporting location. Yes, I think I got it!! Thank you!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. Mina M

Mina M Member

Thank you for your response! I can visualize the relation between the two with your simple and clear explanation. I am so lucky to find this forum, I may rely on it a lot from now on for my work!

8. johnnymo77

johnnymo77 Active Member

IATF16949 top of page 15, definition of "remote location": location that supports manufacturing sites and at which non-production processes occur
    No definition of remote function.

In my read of TRANSITION STRATEGY ISO/TS 16949 › IATF 16949 — REVISION 2, the authors refer to remote supporting function 8 times and remote supporting location 2 times. They seem to be interchangeable.

Mina M and Andy Nichols like this.
  9. Mina M

Mina M Member

Thank you for your help! Interchangeable..., I see. So, if the IATF16949 requirements have no definition for the remote function, then maybe I don't have to be so nervous about the difference.. Thank you!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  10. Ann Hannan

Ann Hannan New Member

So....for IATF 16949, how do we manage Remote Site Location when folks are working from home? Will the CBs visit them at home for an audit? or will they allow the folks at home to "remotely" join an audit? The folks working from home may not be within driving distance, and in fact may be in another country.. Would appreciate feedback please

11. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It’s likely to depend on what the work is and most likely, the CB auditor should be more interested in how the organization knows how the work is being managed etc. It’s not truly a “remote location” as conceived before Covid, but ultimately the CB might think a Teams call is appropriate.