1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

5S Survey about barriers to change

Discussion in '5S, 5Why, 8D, TRIZ, SIPOC, RCA, Shainin Methods...' started by maltese008, Sep 17, 2016.

1. maltese008

maltese008 New Member

Hi;

Our company has been with 5S/TPM for about 3 years. But the management team noticed that the team lack the motivation to really internalize and do the 5S/TPM principles. With this, the company was thinking of conducting a survey to gauge the reason why people are behaving in this manner.
    I am asking of any of you have done a similar survey before. How did you measure it?

Thanks

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

A survey of your frontline employees who are supposed to 'do' 5S and TPM, likely will yield little information. If they aren't motivated to 'do' 5S/TPM they won't be motivated to tell you the truth about why they aren't motivated. Oh a couple of people may tell you the truth but your management is likely to rationalize that truth away.
    In my experience, the cause of such lack of motivation rests solely with management adn not with the front line worker. This has been researched, validated and reported by many, many reputable studies.

So, *I* would ask the management what they think the purpose of 5S and TPM is...how are they supporting and encouraging it? What goals support the use of 5S and TPM? How do the front line supervisors support it? When was the last time the management team did a gemba walk to the floor?

While 5S and TPM can stand alone and be somewhat effective without a full Lean culture of continual improvement and waste reduction, they can be easily squashed by a culture of meeting the build plan at any cost and blind cost reductions....what is the culture of your organization?

RoxaneB, maltese008 and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'd anticipate that, because the organization has only done 2 of the tools in the Lean toolbox, that's where the root of the issue lies. Doing 5S in and of itself is just one step. The lack of interest stems from that and I'd anticipate that people could still point to things which need fixing - to do with the 7 Wastes and their reduction. Bev is correct too. Do your management also understand this?

maltese008 likes this.
  4. maltese008

maltese008 New Member

Hi Bev D. I think the purpose of the 5S and TPM as part of the management team is that we believe that these two are fundamentals in our journey to manufacturing excellence. We need to have a strong foundation on these 2 concepts before we can move forward to Lean Six Sigma. The company is planning to do LEAN but if we will try to look into it. We think that the front line employees have not yet internalized the importance of these two. The current scenario is that instead that the 5S/TPM deliverables should be originated from the team. What happens is that it is the supervisors who are doing it for the sake of submitting the documents. The grading system that we deployed to measure progress was in terms of accomplishment of certain documents and also we have OEE. If I will check OEE for instance, which is the metric for TPM implementation. I can't see an improving trend. About the gemba walk, we have not yet put this in place but it is included as part of our lean implementation. There's a weekly meeting on 5S/TPM progress by the managers and also we have a daily reporting of OEE. One of my observation is that the people were so caught up with the daily deliverables that 5S/TPM is being set aside. People are seeing it as an additional work load and becomes the least priority. About the cost cutting, that is being practice, fixed cost reductions and slashing of budgets are being done.

5. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

OK - I would say that you and your management team need to study a bit more about Lean really is. First, metrics like OEE and Absorption are anti-lean. They promote overproduction. Lean is also not about cost cutting. Cost will be reduced by Lean but not by directly curtting visible costs. The greatest cost in an organization is hidden - it is the 7 wastes that slow down your product's delivery to the Customer. You should not delay gemba walks by the management team until 5S is 'embraced' by the front line workers. The motivation doesn't come from the front lines it comes from management...and a gemba walk is about listening not telling. The management team needs to understand what is getting in the way of the front line workers. They need to be able to identify waste and empower people to remove it.

6. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member