1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO9001:2015 process map examples or templates

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Gary Robinson, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Gary Robinson

Gary Robinson New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking for some assistance regarding the above.
    My organisation is just starting the transition to the new standard and I am required to map out some key processes.
    As a starting point I am looking for some process map examples and maybe a process map template in which I can edit to suit my needs.
    If anyone could assist me on this and provide me with this information it would be greatly appreciated.
    Lastly, what are the best software packages to use to map out these processes?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
    Gary Robinson

2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Here's a sample:
    upload_2016-8-24_7-35-12.png

Gurpej Singh, Markus, Mages and 2 others like this.
  3. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Gary

Tony has given you an example of what I would call a systems map - but I reckon that half the population would call it a process map! Same as a street map isn't a map of a street, but of a town...

You don't need to "map" processes, just describe them clearly - but if you do want to map them I would suggest using a deployment flowchart format, and use "RACI" to identify how roles are involved in each task. And be as concise as possible.

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

My organization uses Visio to map out processes. It's a per user license software, I think, which can become expensive, so only document authors/approvers have it and then process maps are saved as .pdfs which are then uploaded into our document control software.

We also use swim lanes in our process maps - it's like a RACI and flow chart all rolled into one. People see who is accountable for what and when within the process.

As a pkfraser indicated, you don't need to "map" out the processes, but it is my personal preference to use a map over a procedure. I find people learn about a process faster when there is a visual involved, plus my process maps show where our applicable metrics "touch" a process. This can come in handy if we fail to hit a target and want to focus on a particular activity. Work Instructions are also developed by us as supplements to the maps - providing the "how to" components for some of the more complicated processes.

5. Gary Robinson

Gary Robinson New Member

Thank you all for the feedback.
    Do you have any examples of a departmental process? (eg. invoicing)
    This is just to give me an idea of content, layout etc as a starting point.
    Thanks in advance.

6. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Gary
    We use our own (Author) software to produce the attached. You can use Excel to produce the same format, but it is not so easy...

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Ted82, tony s and Atul Khandekar like this.
  7. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

While the standards ask for sequence and interaction of processes to be defined, nowhere have I seen the words "process" and "map" next to each other. Therefore, despite their popularity and folklore, a map is not required.

I have seen process sequence and interaction done in other ways:

1) Matrix, with the processes identified on both x and y axis, and the center grid used to identify the processes' interrelationships. An example is in Table 1 of Evans Capacitor quality manual.
    2) Table, with 4 columns: input, process description, output, list of other processes affected.

tony s likes this.
  8. Chris Glover

Chris Glover Active Member

We embed them in Word..

9. RoxaneB

As their own document or within a work instruction/procedure?

I've been tasked with testing out the mapping functionality of Gliffy - it's supposedly free and is part of a new approach my organization is taking to managing projects and communicating.

10. Chris Glover

Chris Glover Active Member

One example. As the system we use for document control can't apply rev levels and rev dates to any document type other than Word and Excel we embed both Visio and Powerpoint docs in Word

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Markus and RoxaneB like this.
  11. RoxaneB

Ah, I see!

We attach our Visio document as a pdf within our electronic document control software.

What matters is that the document and document control process work for your organization. :)

12. Clif H

Clif H New Member

Relative to the existing (2008) standard, we use the following process maps to describe the interaction of the main processes within the QMS. While I haven't spent a lot of time reading through the new revision as yet (we have a single system that is compliant to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, AS9100, TS16949, and ISO 17025), I suspect we'll need to make some updates. If anyone has any thoughts on improvements to these maps to incorporate the new clauses (e.g. Context of the Organization, Support, Leadership, and so forth), I'm all ears.

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  13. RoxaneB

Clif, welcome and congrats on your first post here in QFO!

Just an observation on your process interaction map...it looks like things start with CI/Corrective Action/Etc. and work their way up to Management, where the "process" of the organization ends. Would it be fair to say that this is really more of a cycle? CI, etc. loops to and from Management, just as the concept of PDSA is a cycle.

14. Clif H

Clif H New Member

Roxane, Thanks for the warm welcome!

As for the process interaction map that I posted, it really is meant to be a cyclical process, although we wanted a simple an effective way to show how we aligned to the old 2008 revision clauses with our internal process(es). Our QMS currently meets several quality standards (9001, 14001, TS16949 17025, AS9100) and is set up to be a 1:1 to the standard(s) to avoid the necessity for a linkage/matrix. And yes, we still get auditors from time to time that want to see just how our documents line up to the standard clauses. So section 5 of our current QMS (procedures, work instructions, and forms) is all about management responsibility. A similar methodology, as an example, applies to section 6 for resources, training, and infrastructure.

As I read through the new 2015 revision, it would appear that some things have been moved around (e.g. MR is no longer part of the the leadership clause and now aligns to the "Performance Evaluation" section). This would be an easy update to our maps by simply relocating it to the Performance Evaluation (used to be Measurement, Analysis and Improvement) process. It would also appear, however, that there are new sections with more substance (e.g. "Planning", which had been part of the product realization clause). I could simply copy the PDCA structure from the standard, but it does get a bit messy were I to include in all of the sub-clauses like the original map posted. Then again, all we really want to show to an external CB is an interaction map with ties/linkages and inputs/outputs. I could create separate process diagrams for the 7 key clauses identified in the standard and then highlight the needs/interests of relevant parties, risks/opportunities, applicable documents and records, necessary resources, and objectives/measurables. Shouldn't be too difficult.

BTW - love the site. Good to have a resource for all things quality again!

15. RoxaneB

Clif,

Similar to your approach, I worked with an organization that was certified to several recognized standards while conforming to our own internal documented requirements. We also developed a matrix to assist auditors - both internal and external - with "staying in scope", showing where they could find specific sections within our Business Management System (BMS).

In creating our integrated BMS, it was recognized that PDSA was a common element to all of the standards and that became the foundation of our BMS, matrix and supporting documentation. We indicated which sections/requirements fell within P or D or S or A...in some cases, they touched multiple aspects of PDSA.

Personally, I love this approach. Why? Because even if the standards move things around, it's more about determining where they fit within our system instead of changing our system to meet the requirements. It also allows for effectiveness and efficiency and...drum roll, please...one common culture within the organization. Let's take document control as an example. Why should it matter if a procedure was developed for ISO9001 or ISO 14001 or TS16949? Having one common document control system and process means that we all speak the same language and we don't need to think about which doc control process to use depending on the applicable standard. It's so much nicer to see an organization that does things because they make sense and NOT because of a piece of paper on the wall.

16. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Dont you consider the risk management as a separated process or the definition of the context?
    I mean to add them as processes?

Thanks

17. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

There's no requirement in risk management. Clause 6.1.1 only requires "determine the risks and opportunities" and plan and implement actions to address them. The requirement relevant on risks and opportunities can be fulfilled on establishing approaches for the following QMS processes:
    • Performance Planning - by having SWOT analysis;
    • Performance Review - by reviewing the results of the evaluation of the actions on risks and opportunities;
    • Internal Audit - by tasking the auditors to perform the evaluation of the effectiveness of the actions to address risks and opportunities;
    • Product Development - by having FMEA...