1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001 2015 for one man band

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Luke Haines, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Luke Haines

Luke Haines New Member

I am looking to gain ISO 9001 2015 certification. I am a limited company one man band providing fire risk consultancy services.

Has anyone had any experience writing procedures for a one man band company????

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Someone might, Luke, but you don't need them! ISO 9001 isn't about "written procedures" any more. So, you're in good shape as far as applying the ISO requirements. What you could probably do is use a simple quality manual for all you do. That, and have someone do your internal audit(s). I have some ideas and examples if you'd like to discuss sometime.

3. Luke Haines

Luke Haines New Member

Andy,
    I would be more than happy to discuss.

4. Luke Haines

Luke Haines New Member

Andy,
    I am not to sure how to send you a private message with contact details.

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Luke, simply click on Andy's name/picture in this this thread and a pop-up box should appear. Click on "Start a conversation" and that should bring you to the right area to send a PM.

...Although, if Andy has already seen your post, I would not be surprised to find out that he PM'd you so that you could reply. :)

6. Luke Haines

Luke Haines New Member

Roxane.
    Many thanks

7. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

Oh man, I thought you were an actual band (musician) that wanted to be ISO certified. This would have been an interesting thread! lol

James Shaw, Nikki, Alpine and 2 others like this.
  8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

That would be very interesting.:D

9. SRose

SRose Member

I know I'm coming to this thread late. Where I work has reduced in size over the last few years. We have ISO 9001-2008 and are transitioning to ISO 9001:2015, I have been given the job of doing a new QMS. The one we currently have is in 2 parts, when it changed from BS5750, the person responsible for the changeover, kept all the Quality Procedures and created an Index Of Cross Reference between these & the Sections (if this makes sense). I've been given the task of re-writing a QMS, so there is no Index Of Cross Reference and all information is within the sections & not separate. The Managing Director, Quality Manager, Works Manager is the same person, I'm the Office Administrator & Deputy Quality Manager, I do most of the written Quality work, a simple QMS would be fine for us, could Andy please point me in the right direction?

10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Andy will chime in eventually but while he's away, I'm offering my take on this. I believe the index of cross reference of procedures against the sections of the other document were made to satisfy ISO 9001:2008 clause 4.2.2b (see below).

4.2.2 Quality manual
    The organization shall establish and maintain a quality manual that includes
    a) the scope of the quality management system, including details of and justification for any exclusions,
    b) the documented procedures established for the quality management system, or reference to them, and
    c) a description of the interaction between the processes of the quality management system.

Since the 2015 version no longer requires a Quality Manual with its prescribed contents, you can write your QMS documents in any manner or format that will make sense to your organization (see ISO 9001:2015 clauses 7.5.2, including 0.1, A.1)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. SRose

SRose Member

Hi Tony, thank you for your reply. Looking at Clause 7.5.2, if I'm understanding it correctly, as I now create 90% of our documents via Word & saved on the PC & a Memory Stick, I wouldn't have to have physical copies of every one in a manual & a separate document file, like we have now. When we had our last Audit, the assessor was shocked at our 100+ page manual & implied we could use a flow chart & a lot less pages, I just keep looking at this work I have to do & have a little groan to myself lol :)

12. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Let's take this first. It's NOT the domain of the auditor to do this! If you have decided to do this - for one reason or another - then the auditor needs to keep their "advice" to themselves! It's legitimate to have everything in ONE "manual" if you so choose. It's not about "a lot less pages". You don't measure quality systems by "pages", trust me.

SRose, I'm not sure where you are located etc. but drop me a line a pm