1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

EMS Performance: How to measure?

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by Nathan, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Hi, how do you measure the performance of an EMS as opposed to meeting identified targets and objectives?

keivan farzan likes this.
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Objectively? You can't...

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

What clause in ISO 14001:2015 does it require to measure performance of an EMS?

The last time I checked is that clause 9.1.1 requires the organization to measure, monitor, analyze and evaluate its environmental performance. The Terms and Definitions at 3.4.11 defines environmental performance as "performance related to the management of environmental aspects", with a Note that says "For an environmental management system, results can be measured against the organization's environmental policy, environmental objectives or other criteria, using indicators.

Divine De La Pena likes this.
  4. Nathan

Nathan New Member

You guys are right. It's actually my organisations operating licence (enforced by our regulator) that states we must report on our 'objectives and targets of the EMS'. I'm wondering if I can interpret this as 'objectives and targets of the organisation' (as opposed to directly on the EMS)?

The performance against these objectives is one way of evaluating our environmental performance. The EMS is the framework/tool used to achieve and measure performance, not the actual measure itself.

The only other thing I can think of is to report on EMS specific trends in the management review eg. number of audits, corrective actions etc???

5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

When establishing objectives relevant to the organization's significant environmental aspects, below are some that I can readily identify:
    • water conservation;
    • energy conservation;
    • waste reduction;
    • substitution to environment friendly processes, materials and products;
    • reduction in operation's pollutants (e.g. SOx, NOx, VOC, BOD, COD, etc.);
    • reduction in carbon footprint;
    • paper reduction;
    • reforestation...
    You can also set objectives that are relevant to applicable statutory, regulatory and other requirements.