1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Project Management Training-Recommendations required

Discussion in 'Training - Internal, External and Web-Based' started by Emmyd, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Emmyd

Emmyd Member

Good morning everyone! I am curious to see if anyone has done any project management training as part of their job tasks and if there are any recommendations. I've led several new projects at my plant in addition to my Quality Engineer tasks, but at most these projects represented 19 parts of a single program. I am now in charge of 2 new programs with a total of 53 parts, with multiple tool shops, gage shops and multiple manufacturing facilities (ours and our customers). I feel that my skills will have to be stepped up on these programs and am looking for additional training. I'm not necessarily looking to be certified, but I would like to brush up on the essentials.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

There is an Introduction to Project Management on www.edx.org . It's free and it's online. I am not affiliated with the website or the school that is presenting the course.

I think Intro to PM just started this week, too, so you wouldn't have missed anything.

QAengineer13 and Emmyd like this.
  3. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

Wow, this is pretty neat. I enrolled to check it out.

Emmyd likes this.
  4. Emmyd

Emmyd Member

I have looked at some of the free online classes as well, I may have to go ahead and enroll. Thank you for the reminder of this. My management was looking at training seminars, more of a condensed training. This may work better though!

5. RoxaneB

I've taken a few courses on the edX platform. For the most part, they've been quite enjoyable and enlightening.

6. RoxaneB

I registered for the Intro to PM course...study buddies! *lol*

Candi1024 and Emmyd like this.
  7. QAengineer13

QAengineer13 Member

Thanks Roxane, You're a star! I have enrolled for the Verified Certificate of Achievement so later I can use this credit for ASQ CEU. Please do let us know and I will too if I come across any new courses. Thank you once again

8. RoxaneB

The edX platform is updated regularly. I typically go in once a month to see what's new and/or starting soon. There are other educational platforms such as Coursera and FutureLearn (I think), but I haven't found their offerings to be as diverse or as "online friendly" as the edX courses.

9. AndyH

AndyH Member

Definitely worth spending the time to go on a residential course for a week or so. You learn not just the basics and theory but get the chance to do some in-depth worked examples and can question the trainer intensely (you will have lots of questions!).

I've done both Prince II and the PMBOK programme . project management training and for my money I'd go with PMBOK every time; it's more flexible and has more tools at your disposal.

10. Ardaqr

Ardaqr Member

Best source is for the project management is the books of Rita Mulcahy (R.I.P.) Especially if you would like to have PMP exam, its like mandatory to have one of her books :)