1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Third party assessors as Interested Parties?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Craig Dixon, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Craig Dixon

Craig Dixon Member

Could anyone please clarify for me if they would consider their 3rd part assessors such as BSI as an interested party to the organisation.
    I am currently working through the list of interested parties to my organisation in order to assess their needs and expectations. Up to now I have listed the obvious ones such as our customers, employees, suppliers, competitors and stakeholders. Not sure weather or not to include our third party assessors.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Any CB is a supplier of certification services. By your own criteria, they are an interested party.

Somashekar likes this.
  3. David Sanabria

David Sanabria Active Member

They could be ...

but I am not sure what value added services they provide to the point that you could invest time. and once you do - then what.

4. Andy Nichols

The clue is in the relationship with your CB. Of course, a CB agreement has needs and expectations which you have to consider to maintain your certification, through the implementation and maintenance of your QMS. It should be pretty easy.

Somashekar likes this.
  5. Craig Dixon

Craig Dixon Member

Ok, thanks.
    That is a lot clearer now.
    The certification is an important aspect of the business so I think it is justified to assess the certification bodies needs and expectations.

6. David Sanabria

it appear that those are the requirements of the customers - hence there is value in maintaining that requirements by whatever means - including certification.

If the customer does not imposed those requirements - there is no value added by being registered.
    thus
    Invest your time and effort wisely - but nothing wrong with putting them on your list (not sure what you will gain by this but...)

7. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

It might just be in the wording...if so, I apologize...

I tend to focus on the needs and expectations of my customers. While it can spread to some select vendors, it is more the norm that my vendors pay attention to MY needs and expectations, rather than me paying attention to theirs...
    FWIW...

David Sanabria likes this.
  8. David Sanabria

agree... spend time assessing the needs of customer (and find suppliers that would meet your requirement - hence, there is no value spending time assessing your supplier). If suppliers don't meet your requirements - find ones that will...

9. Craig Dixon

Craig Dixon Member

Ok, so I think the organisations certifications are best considered in respect to the needs and expectations of our customers.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  10. Andy Nichols

Of course there is! I've been in this industry over 25 years and many, many clients come to seek certification without customers forcing them...

11. Andy Nichols

What happens when that supplier is of strategic importance? Maybe a sole source?

12. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

I know you weren't aiming the question at me...but here's my answer ;)

Re the OP...looking at the CB...I shudder to think of them as a Sole Source Strategic Supplier...
    All the same, if it's easier and faster to list all vendors, there's no real harm...if it wastes a lot of time to do so, you can be much more selective regarding suppliers.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  13. Andy Nichols

I'm not sure this is actually required. I'd go with simply asking "If suppliers are "interested parties" what are their needs and expectations?" As a supplier, I'd like to have a) clearly defined requirements and b) sufficient time to meet your delivery requirements...kinda thing

14. Andy Nichols

I get that Eric, however, in the context of some organizations (I'm familiar with) we couldn't do anything without them! Some were SO important to us, we had to make them part of the new product development process! Of course, an organization may not need to do that, and might not even consider distributors in that way - but because of our context - we had to consider some suppliers as an extension of our manufacturing capabilities.

15. Andy Nichols

In some sectors a Notified Body is JUST that!

16. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

This issue was discussed at length here.