1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Writing a SPC report for managment

Discussion in 'SPC - Statistical Process Control' started by Anthony Kelleher, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

Hi, I'm a mature student and I have recently started SPC course using Mini Tab. When I'm given data and told to write a report the same as I will have to do in industry for management I'm struggling some what.

I can select the correct control chart take it further and do descriptive statistics and even process capability study but where I in trouble is commenting on minitab has produced. I have to write a paragraph on whats happening.

Iv tried to find examples online but I'm having no luck. Does anyone know where id find examples similar to what would be in industry.
    Thanks

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

What are you struggling with? Perhaps if you post an example?

I also recommend Donald wheeler's on www.qualitydigest.com

3. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

The problem I'm having is commenting what the data is telling me. I can briefly say whats going on but I not seeing every thing.
    I post a question and my analysis of it tomorrow and it might give a better idea of where I'm going wrong.

Thanks

4. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Respectfully, it sounds like you don't understand what you are learning. Probably should fix that first.

5. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

That's what I'm trying to do but I cant find any guide lines, examples along the lines of what I'm doing. Ill use any means possible to learn an this forum is one.
    Thanks for your feed back

6. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I though you said you where in an SPC class? Have they talked about out of control points, runs, trends, etc.?

7. Bev D

There are a lot of hack teachers of SPC (and other quality methods) out there so I wouldn't worry about your undertanding yet. I've seen a lot of students provide summarization of an SPC case study that got As from their professor yet their answers were total crap from a real life perspective. I look forward to seeig your example...

Bob Doering likes this.
  8. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

Thanks for the feed back guys. Three kids running rings around me today so Ill upload a tutorial question and my attempt at a solution later tonight.

9. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

This is a tutorial question I d before Christmas, The issue I'm having is I don't comment enough on what's going on (only giving one liner analysis) and that's where I'm getting stuck.
    For example part (b) the gauge r&r Anova report. I need to comment on all six graphs but I feel I'm only repeating myself and I give a few one line comments, Lecturer wants more. also part(a) I only give one line comment but I'm no sure what more to say.

Thanks

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

10. Bev D

First, go beyond stating the 'statistical' obvious and describe the condition in more detail. for example, it is clear that there is a bias to the reference value. but the unanswered questions are: what is the direction of the bias? in this case the smaller the value, the system measures high to the reference value and the higher the reference value the system measures the parts low to the reference value. Is this bias of any practical importance? the bias is about .5 at it's worst. what are the spec limits? does this bias matter?
    The second thing to think about is: what is graph about? and what do the results mean. what is the practical effect? for example, the Range chart shows the range of measurements (max-min) for each part and operator. it is a direct display of repeatability.

now you try it with the Range chart for operators. what do you see?

RoxaneB and Anthony Kelleher like this.
  11. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

I had a go at part (a) again ill try (b) tomorrow evening. Its a whole new language this stuff.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

12. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Bev's second thing to think about is more meaningful for management, in my opinion. You're taking an SPC course and learning to understand the story that the numbers are telling. Management, however, doesn't necessarily speak fluent "stats" and your role may be to translate the story so that they understand it and possibly recommend actions that could get results back to where they should - or need to - be.

Repeatability is lovely...but are the results repeating in a way that management wants?

Are you trending up or down? If you stay on this pace, when will you hit the desired target? Or worse, when will you fall outside of acceptable range?

The numbers can tell a story. That's what the report to management should focus on, in my opinion.

Anthony Kelleher likes this.
  13. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

Great post. This is where I'm struggling turning what's going on in to plain English management understand.

14. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

It can be difficult if you don't understand (or are not given) the application of the numbers (i.e., the manufacturing/service process it represents). That's the downside to classes that focus on "application of the theoretical"...there's a need to balance it with the "application of reality."

Can I presume that the typed content on page 2 of your attachment is your analysis? If so, let's pretend I'm management.

• I've read this and I'm thinking "So what" - how does it impact me as management?
    • Evidence of bias...no evidence of bias. What does this mean with regard to the instrument? Do I need to buy a new one?
    • "Operators measuring system might need to be looked at" - For what? Why? What is wrong with the current system? Wouldn't training work?
    • What does non-linearity mean in terms of a process? If my equipment or gage R&R system is flawed, how does that impact my manufacturing process or, more important, my final product that the customer wants tomorrow?
    • I don't understand why different gauges should be used because of a line's slope.

Hopefully, these types of questions will help you translate from the language of numbers to the language of management. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Anthony Kelleher likes this.
  15. Anthony Kelleher

Anthony Kelleher Member

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Ill put some work in and repost in a week or so.

Thanks again.