1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

NB's auditing practice called into question...

Discussion in 'ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 – Medical Devices QMS' started by Jonathan Wilkie, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Jonathan Wilkie

Jonathan Wilkie New Member

I am an engineer for a small (<50 employees) medical device manufacturing plant. I am currently working on an R&D project that will be ultimately affected by this updated revision of ISO13485:2015. (according to BSI white pages) Normally a Gap Analysis would be the general course of action for me/us to take to ensure compliance, however; here is the situation - Our NB has indicated that we will be audited on both the ISO13485:2012 (amendments) and ISO13485:2015 this fall and the ISO13485:2015 revision is to be released in the fall. My question is; where is the time needed to complete any gap analysis especially if we are audited prior to the release of 2015 revision? I feel this is just another way for NB's to buckle-up small medical device manufacturers. Does anybody have any direction for me on my situation? Thanks.

2. MarkMeer

MarkMeer Well-Known Member

Jonathan Wilkie likes this.
  3. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

I am sure you meant EN ISO 13485:2012, as there is no ISO 13485:2012.

As for the NB unilaterally mandating compliance by the Fall to the ISO 13485:2016, they CAN'T do that. There will be a TRANSITION period for organizations to migrate their systems to the ISO 13485:2016 standard and, I suspect that the IAF will allow for a 3-year transition. During that transition period, YOU (the REGISTRANT) decides when you are going to make the move; not the NB, not the CB.

Once again, the NB can not unilaterally mandate you to transition if you are not ready.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Jonathan Wilkie and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Jonathan Wilkie

No I did not Mark but I will see if QM(r) has a copy I can review. Thanks for the response. Jon

5. Jonathan Wilkie

I am not sure who, how, or why this upcoming audit is in place that would be an alley I can look into. What I do know is that it will ultimately affect how to proceed with the R&D project's compliance activities. Thank you for your response Sidney, I have made the QM aware of your response and I have set up a meeting to specifically discuss this matter. Jon