1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Study further in QMS

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Sonita, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Sonita

Sonita Member

I have been granted the opportunity to study further in Quality Management Systems, I have done implementation and internal auditing in ISO9001:2015. Any other suggestions like diploma or any higher education that you can suggest that will compliment ISO9001:2015?

2. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

The best is to attend and pass a 5 days IRCA registered course of QMS lead auditor at any accredited certification body. You will receive an IRCA registered certificate on belaf of the course provider. It will enable you to act as a freelance-auditor at any certification body.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't agree it's "the best". Simply put, unless someone is going to pursue a career in Supplier or CB auditing, internal auditing training is fine. Most people cannot obtain the minimum hours of auditing (or indeed the ongoing experience) to maintain such a professional certification. Sitting a class isn't an entry qualification to free lance at "any CB". I get quite a few requests and attending a class and/or passing a test isn't anything but training - a long way from becoming of interest to many CBs...

4. Marcelo Antunes

Marcelo Antunes Active Member

If you want to understand quality management (and quality management systems), you need to study quality engineering, not read a standard (which is simply a collection of best practices in the field). Buy some books (I usually suggest the usual authors, Deming, Juran, Crosby), and maybe some other specific books for specific parts by ASQ. After reading those, nothing a standard such as ISO 9001 says should be new.

Andrej, WCHorn and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. drgnrider

drgnrider Member

Might be worth a new thread, but suggestions on how to get the additional experience? I have heard about trading auditing services with other organizations, but we are pretty skimpy on "other certified organizations" in my area.

6. Andy Nichols

Yes, let's start on in the auditing forum

7. drgnrider

drgnrider Member

Andy Nichols likes this.
  8. Sonita

Sonita Member

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely buy some books and read a lot. My goal is to become our departmental head in quality and only do the internal auditing and not any external auditing. The company however do expect that for my goal I must have at least a diploma in quality management so I will need to study further. Is there perhaps something outside there higher than a diploma in quality management?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

10. Marcelo Antunes

Marcelo Antunes Active Member

There's also several Master of Quality Management degrees if you Google for it.

11. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

The Sonita's question was about a diploma. My 15 years experience in certification indicates that the certificate about a successful completion of a Lead Auditor course registered by IRCA is a sort of diploma of a high value.

12. Andy Nichols

In your industry, that's possibly true. A CB wants to hire someone with that training (because they don't want to pay for training and then have someone fail).

In industry at large, few organizations know what a "lead auditor" is...

13. Leonid

Leonid Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact, a number of Russian organizations, big and small, from different industries send their employees to such courses. Only a few percents work as subcontractors for certification bodies.

14. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

Hi, Sonita. If you are based in a country with a professional institute: UK / CQI; USA / ASQ there are a range of courses and you can take advantage of local branches / chapters and their presentations.

It also gives you a great chance to network and make some connections with some people who have 'been there, done it, and have the T shirt'. You have to make up your own mind about the value of their advice. Same applies for books by the gurus. Read widely and make up your own mind.

Good luck. I envy your opportunity ... As one of the ancient inhabitants of these forums! :D

15. Sonita

Sonita Member

Thanks, I am situated in South Africa and with the dollar exchange rate my change to study abroad is very slim. ;-) I did get approval to do the BSI Diploma in QM so will stick with that for now and maybe later can get them convinced to enrol me in a university in USA / UK

16. Elaine T

Elaine T New Member

Did you do this course and if so would you give me a little guidance?

17. Nick1

Nick1 Member

Hi Sonita,

I understand you are in a difficult spot because the company you work for demands a diploma. If you ask me, try to convince your managers that a diploma doesn't say anything, yes I know it is hard to convince people about this. A diploma makes you book smart doesn't say anything about your ability to function as a quality manager. It might be even better to have a more formal training in industry the company you work for is in. Understanding the core output of the company and the quality implications for that product or service is of much more value than obtaining a general diploma in quality management, if you ask me.