1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Controlling FMEA and Control Plan formats in ISO 9001 2008?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hi all
    I'm new to TS 16949 and have some doubts
    As a reference , in ISO 9001 2008, regarding to external documents, I consider as such, ISO standards, ASME code, machinery manuals, etc. by that reason and I have control over them.

I have implemented ISO 9001 2008 and I'm adopted some practices from TS (FMEA and Control Plan), in order to be included in my system.

In my system, should be considered as external documents the FMEA and Control Plan formats?.
    As I understand they are formats developed by Ford.

Are they updated at certain time so that I have to look always for new versions?

I suppose I can't do some modifications to them and be considered as internal documents.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

2. Emmyd

Emmyd Member

If you haven't already, AIAG has some great books that provide the format for use in the FMEA & Control Plans. These are used by most all the OEM's, and most of them require that the format found in the AIAG FMEA & APQP manuals.
    Here is a link to the 5 pack of most commonly required manuals: http://www.aiag.org/products/products-list/product-details?ProductCode=CT5-K . You can also order them individually as well. Most of the time, after you order the books, they will send an email out to let you know of any updates to any of the manuals.
    Hope this helps!

3. Reluctance

Reluctance Member

We consider as external documents the reference materials that contain the original example FMEA and Control Plan forms.

As Emmyd mentioned, these are available from the Automotive Industry Action Group (www.aiag.org). Usually I check their website once a year for any updated versions. As far as I know there is not a set revision schedule.

Many of these reference books (and the included forms) are joint copyright of Chrysler LLC, Ford, and General Motors. AIAG is just the publisher.

If you own a copy of these reference books you have permission to use the included forms as you see fit. The only requirement is that you maintain the minimum information described in the forms. As such we have created our own internally controlled copy of these with our preferred formatting and logo.

Emmyd and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Nice answer, Reluctance!

5. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks to Emmyd and Reluctance,
    Very useful your answers.

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I've read from the foreword of the second edition of AIAG's APQP and Control Plan Reference Manual which says "Organizations purchasing APQP Second Edition have permission to copy any forms and/or checklist contained herein". The foreword of the fourth edition of AIAG's FMEA Reference Manual says "Supply chain organizations of Chrysler LLC, Ford Motor Company or General Motors Corporation have permission to copy forms used in this manual". Both are copyrighted by the US Big Three. However, there is no prohibition to have your own format if you want some modifications.

Annex A of ISO/TS 16949:2009 provides the minimum contents or form fields for a Control Plan for those who seek conformity or certification to this automotive QMS standard. You can use this as your guide for devising your own format.

Qualmx likes this.
  7. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Tony S