1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Audit Alu casting companies

Discussion in 'Supplier Quality, Audits & Other Supplier Issues' started by Crombes, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Crombes

Crombes Member

Dear all

i'm going to visit 2 Alu casting companies next week is there anyone who has audited similar companies and has special attention points for this audit ?

thanks

2. Reluctance

Reluctance Member

What type of casting - investment casting, sand casting, die casting, etc?

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What's the objective of the audit? Are you not familiar with the technology/process they use? Have you ever done an audit before?

4. Crombes

Crombes Member

I've done supplier audits before not just in the alu sector.

these are new foundries so I do not know what to expect

5. Andy Nichols

What's the purpose of the audit? What are you expecting to get out of it?

6. Crombes

Crombes Member

audit is to know if suitable to start up new business , so I know how to audit to see if they have adequate Q system and organization but It would be nice to know if there are some topics to pay special attention to ,related to alu casting that are "a must " for good casting companies ( e.g. the possibility to XR internally ,etc ...)

thanks

7. Andy Nichols

Are they ISO certified already? A good casting doesn't simply come from what they do. A good casting supplier will want to know the product design well to understand where to run/gate etc the molds. You didn't say if this is die casting or some other technology. So it's difficult to answer with any meaningful response.

8. Koala

Koala New Member

I audit aluminum casting companies. Purpose to ensure they are meeting our requirements (supplier quality, specifications, etc.) as well as their own stated requirements.
    I use the same audit form for all suppliers I audit.
    I typically have PO's my organization has issued to the supplier (so I can trace their processes from beginning to end to ensure conformance).
    The most important item I audit for aluminum casting companies (special attention points you mentioned) is our supplier casting specification. Do they follow?
    For new supplier audits, I use the audit form and bring the applicable specifications & supplier quality requirements with me to see if they follow those requirements.

9. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

Go to the AIAG website and get a copy of CQI-27. That's a universally accepted castings audit. It's not bad. They MAY have it filled out already. It's valid if it is less than a year old.