1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How to accurately evaluate "OCC" ranking ?

Discussion in 'FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis' started by Pongsakorn, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

With reference to AIAG FMEA Manual 4th edition, the OCC ranking will be based on "Occurrence of cause" not "Occurrence of Failure". Therefore, each potential cause of failure will have different OCC ranking.
    However, I believe that most of manufacturing company only track the % or ppm of each failure mode but does not track the % or ppm of failure mode by each cause. As such, there is no data that can be used to evaluate OCC ranking accurately.
    Please advise what should be the proper way to evaluate OCC ranking without such data.

upload_2023-3-22_17-41-26.png

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

As with all ratings for FMEA, the organization should derive their own data. As they say, the FMEA is "a living document". Draw a line in the sand and begin to compile your own data on occurrences.

Pongsakorn and John C. Abnet like this.
  3. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Andy, thanks.
    I am not sure if it is usual to track the occurrence of failure by each cause of failure. I guess that most of organization just "estimate" the occurrence of cause not from the actual data.
    What do you think?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It’s true, what you say, since the book is a “purest” viewpoint, so as long as your data is accurate, why not? The FMEA can always be improved. I’d say that doing it, putting in place the control plan etc will still give benefit. Please be sure to get the first few columns accurate and the rest will be fine!

Pongsakorn likes this.
  5. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Really thanks for the comment, Andy.