1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Help with developing a Control Plan for a non-manufacturing company

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by claudiogut, Mar 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

The company I work for is being audited by a big potential customer and they want to see a proper control plan, the problem is that this company doesn’t actually manufacture anything. They’re just a distributor of parts.

Basically, they will stock items for the potential customer and sell to them as needed.

There are only simple processes involved in the handling of material:

1. Receiving
    2. Incoming inspection
    3. Stocking

4. Picking
    5. Outgoing inspection
    6. Shipping

Can someone point me to resources and templates for something like this? All I find online are templates for companies that manufacture things.

Thank you in advance to anyone that answers!

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

The templates would be the same. You say that you perform incoming and outgoing inspection. Document that on your control plan. What do you inspect? How many? How often? What measuring devices? etc.

claudiogut and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Exactly so. Don't forget to base the control on past performance of quality etc. If you have had no issues, then simply do an i.d, condition and count check to the PO requirements.

4. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

@Miner thanks for your reply. I suppose we wouldn't list every single part that we inspect, but rather a family of parts that have their own set criteria and reference that document number, correct?

And @Andy Nichols I'm not too clear on how to base the control plan on past performance. What do you mean by this?

5. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I would definitely take that approach.
    He probably means to look at what you currently inspect, and look at your history of rejections and returns for each item. If you have never had a rejection or return for a given item, consider removing it from your plan.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Yup, got it!

7. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

Gents, in reviewing existing templates and sample control plans from other organizations, they all seem to be unnecessarily complicated and detailed. We're a simple distributor of components.

So my question to you is, could it be as simple as the attached files?

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

8. Andy Nichols

Most certainly! The process flow is a good model to follow.

In the case of the Control Plan, the idea of using an AQL to sample is an unnecessary complication. Although it has been used commonly for such situations (in a past life we used it in receiving inspection for COTS items) it really has no place - unless you apply the statistics behind it correctly.

As stated previously. Unless there's been a history of poor quality performance (quantity, damage, wrong/mixed items etc) then simply do an ID, quantity and damage check to the PO and put them in location. Depending on what you have, a periodic condition check etc is common as is counting inventory turns, FIFO etc. as part of the CP.

Miner likes this.
  9. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

@Andy Nichols, thanks for your feedback. This customer is particularly finicky and they want everything at AQL 2.5, so I have to specify it in there. I will touch up the control a little more with resource names, etc, but I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks again for your vote of confidence!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  10. Andy Nichols

You are welcome