1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

QMS and Compliance KPIs

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by ISO9001TD, Jun 18, 2022.

1. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

What are the top 3-5 KPIs a QMS manager should be tracking?

I would like to know which KPIs are the most vital, most telling, and provide the greatest value and impact to quality and revenue for our aerospace company.

I want to keep our QMS simple as possible. I would like to avoid having too many KPIs where I have information and data overload. I don’t have time for that.

We deal with ISO 9001, AS9100, DCMA, DCAA, CMMC, CMMI and DFARS.

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

The KPIs you should be tracking are those that represent your organization's success in fulfilling the expectation of the various interested parties - primarily end users, but also regulators etc. Not knowing what these are for your organization makes me wholly unable to list for you the KPIs you ask about, and more vitally, why they are important.

Bev D likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

TBH, that's the wrong end of the deal. Ask yourself, what, as Quality Manager am I the Process Owner of? Being a Process Owner, means having to know the relevant requirements (including objectives etc.), the process (and all that entails), the results and, finally what actions are necessary to improve the process. Just opting to focus on "KPIs" is less than 1 fourth of the things anyone should be interested in. You don't only focus on gas mileage when driving, for example.

4. andic

andic Member

Sometimes knowing when to stop monitoring a KPI is more important. Bask in the glory of a successful project and make sure it has stuck for a while then hide the slide and get to work on something else, maybe review the old KPIs quarterly just to make sure nothing is going awry

5. Abed Salameh

Abed Salameh Member

Hi, I have worked for the Aerospace industry and the most important KPIs an external auditor will look for are those related to products/ services and customer needs, for example
    product quality kpi- 1) the number of products escaped/ warranty returned/ month
    2) Product OTD delivery
    3) RMA repairs- days/ month
    4) Supplier performance
    5) Customer Satisfaction- NPS ( Net Promotor Score)/ QRT
    etc. what is more important for the business to track.
    Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Abed

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Abed:

When implementing a QMS to meet a requirement such as AS9100D, we must be very careful to predict what auditors look for. There's many, many potential problems with this, for example:

No 2 auditors are alike. What "satisfies" one, may not "satisfy" the next one. The client is not there to satisfy anything but requirements, not auditors.
    What satisfies an auditor isn't always what ISO 9001/AS9100D requires. Frequently, experience shows that auditors add their own bias to the requirements or interpretations.

It is up to the organization to determine what their Quality objectives are based on, as our good friend @RoxaneB calls them "OTIS": "On Time, In Specification"

KPIs are NOT required because people can pluck them from anywhere and that's NOT what ISO 9001 (and hence AS9100) requires.

At least 2 of those above you've posted are NOT appropriate, experience shows. ISO 9001 doesn't require a measurement of "customer satisfaction", such as a Net Promoter score. Indeed scorecards often don't tell the whole story. It's common in Sales to learn that a customer was just about to turn off their business from a supplier and the score card didn't indicate any dissatisfaction (from a quality/delivery/cost perspective).