1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Corrective Action Completion Date

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by mlouc, Oct 19, 2015.

1. mlouc

mlouc Member

Hello! I am new to this forum. I am saddened by the loss of Elsmar Cove and am searching for a replacement. I'm hoping this is it.

Question: can anyone tell me if there exists a definitive completion date for corrective actions? I know that my particular certification body requires that corrective actions must be completed/closed within 60 days (from cradle to grave), but I have a fellow auditor who disagrees. She states that because the technical specification does not contain a specific number of days to closure, that an organization can determine a completion date based on their business need. I'd appreciate any light that can be shed on this topic.

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hello, mlouc.

Since CBs indicate to the external world if your organization's processes conform to a standard, it make sense that they would have a completion date on them. What I do not know is if there is a standard time frame.

Internally, I don't believe that there is a mandated time requirement, however, it doesn't look too good if an item is open for a very long. Internal processes should have a means for identifying outstanding CAs and an escalation process.

Brian Vandolah and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. PaulJSmith

PaulJSmith Well-Known Member

Welcome, mlouc!

I believe your fellow auditor is correct to question that. In support of that, you might ask how that 60 days can apply to corrective action on a product or process you only run once every 6 months, or 2 years, or ... you get the picture. You cannot possibly verify the effectiveness of any corrective action until you run it again, which may be well past that 60 day limit. Prematurely closing a CA before verification would be a very bad practice.

I don't think you can apply a single time limit to every case. Each situation will dictate the time required to properly resolve.

Brian Vandolah and Bev D like this.
  4. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

Since you are posting this under the TS16949 Forum, ask your CB to share with you the source for the requirement in the IATF Rules for TS 16949 certification.

Bev D likes this.
  5. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

I can understand that your certification auditor might require a response or a definite plan within a specified timeframe - especially if the finding was a 'major'. I can understand the need for aerospace and defense audits - and in certain cases automotive or other industries to require at least a mitigation to be implemented in a very short time frame when the NC could - or does - effect safety. But in general the risk, physics and complexity should guide the timeline.

PaulJSmith likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

All corrective actions should be appropriate to the amount of work to be done, affect on customer etc - that takes time. However, in the external auditor's world it is common practice to require things to be done within a time frame.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Brian Vandolah likes this.
  7. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Section 5.9. CB auditors do not require us to close the NC's after submitting corrective actions. But there must be objective evidence of: Containment, Corrective Action and Preventive Action. Evidence of effectiveness will be upon the next visit (if major) on 60-90 days.....

8. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Welcome mlouc!

I had a TS auditor who pressured me for closure within 60 days. I stressed that we had a few corrective actions that needed more time. He wondered what was taking so long, so I showed him the string of actions listed in my log and described the containment in place and how time resources were needed for XYZ personnel in order to engineer a fix in the software that allowed the issue. He gave up and moved on.

MCW8888, Brian Vandolah and Bev D like this.
  9. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I think what is important is to show that you have a process in place that, for the most part, results in timely - and proper - closure to corrective actions. As with any process, however, there will be outliers. Having an escalation and/or review process established to ensure these outliers are not forgotten could be helpful, without taking away from the importance of timely resolution.

Using "## Days to Close" as a key performance/process indictor for Corrective Action has never been my favourite, however, it is a nice control indicator. As part of a data analysis exercise, if 80% (just picking a number here, folks) are within 60 days, an organization now knows that there are 20% that they should probably focus more deeply on. Why are they open so long? Are there any trends?...same product, same process, same time, and so on. That's not to say the other 80% of the corrective actions should be ignored, but if there are trends to long-open CAs, you have a potential significant improvement project in the making. :)

As well, if there was only 1 CA over that threshold of 60 days and the rest were closed within 60 days, why look at what time window 80% of the CAs fall into. Your internal window may need to reduce to 45 days if you're going to have 20% of your CAs escalated up for that deeper analysis mentioned above. A tighter window is yet another way to demonstrate improvement as it could be an indicator of a robust and effective CA process.

10. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

My TS auditor accepted my CAR response even if I could not close it in 60 days. the auditor just wanted to see that there is an action plan and the date of implementation. Some might be >60 days. It should be fine as long as the client is sincere in his commitment to close. If it is a Major NC, the auditor will have to come back and re-audit within 90 days to ensure that the action plan is progressing as it should.

RoxaneB and Jennifer Kirley like this.
  11. mlouc

mlouc Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO EVERYONE! My apologies that it took me soo long to post this thank you. Your responses were all very helpful :)

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  12. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

As everyone pointed out - as long as you can prove you have been working on the issue and not ignoring it you shouldn't have a problem.

Our system is set up to follow-up on each issue every 30 days until closed. So every 30 days, for the 2 or 3 I still have open, I write down what we are waiting for... Auditors love it :)