1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Is an assembly fixture a gage?

Discussion in 'Gage R&R and MSA - Measurement Systems Analysis' started by Tyler Carr, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Tyler Carr

Tyler Carr New Member

I'm struggling with this one in respect to ISO 9001:2015 7.1.5.1.

We use a number of assembly fixtures that error proof our assembly process (preventing bowing in MDF cabinets while they're screwed together). Each product SKU has its own fixture. Do these fixtures constitute "monitoring and measuring resources"?

Or, maybe fixtures fall more into 7.1.3 as "equipment" which has no requirement for documented information?

Thanks!

2. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

JMO...if the wrong fixture being used would make a bad part, then the fixture is part of your monitoring process.

They are certainly equipment...but from the little you've described they seem like equipment used to monitor (and control) the process.

From a different angle...how do you know what fixture to use for Product A?
    That ought to be documented somewhere accessible...even if just in a work instruction.

3. Tyler Carr

Tyler Carr New Member

Thanks Eric, helps to clarify my thinking. (For reference, here's the cabinets: http://www.leonspeakers.com/horizon/) In addition, if the fixture was worn the cabinet could bow outward beyond tolerance - so they're definitely monitoring the process.

The fixtures are referenced with colloquial names in our standardized work (work instructions). We'll be identifying each uniquely, putting them on a calibration cycle, and updating our standardized work accordingly.

4. Somashekar

Somashekar Well-Known Member

By its name and by your use,. it is a fixture.
    Is it also intended to check what you fix on it ?
    Perhaps your fixture design is such that a wrong part will not fix in it as intended...
    However the purpose is as a fixture and so its not a gage.

5. Eric Twiname

Back in the realm of opinion...but a fairly widely held one I think...

If "bow" is an acceptance criteria...
    and the fixture is the only thing in your process that determines whether "bow" passes or fails...
    Then it isn't a piece of equipment anymore...it is a gage.
    A Go/NoGo gauge perhaps, but a gauge all the same.

Call it a gauge, call it a fixture, call it Monty Python...the calibration cycle is appropriate, and documentation is in order.

6. Jim Hagenbaugh

Jim Hagenbaugh Member

I realize it may not be the intent, but IMHO you are using it as a go-no go gauge. If it is a critical measurement (as it seems with your "worn" comment) you probably need to put it under some type of program.

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Tyler - if it used to "accept" or "reject" product which is place on it, then it will need, at the very least "verification". Location holes, pins, surfaces are all subject to wear. You can consider it under maintenance or the calibration system requirements (but don't call it calibration, it isn't, call it pm - and calibration is simply "super-preventive maintenance" anyways)

8. Eric Twiname

FWIW, I think I would likely handle it under 7.1.5.2, personally...and keep calibration/verification records and the identified intervals.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what section it is "under"...as long as the gage is known good for use.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Let's be clear here. The OP is describing a restraining fixture to aid in assembly of 'bendable' material. Don't mis-interpret his mis-use of the terminology 'monitoring': "if the fixture is worn teh cabinet may bow out beyond tolerance so it's definitely monitorign the process". No it isnt' monitoring the process, it may allow excessive bowing if worn, but it can't detect the bowing (at least from the OP's description - please correct me if I have this wrong). Typically holdign and restraining fixtures don't inspect or act as go/no-go guages - they are assembly aids.

Treating a holding fixture as a gauge is - IMHO - is a very slippery slope. Its the difference between a clamp and a go/no-go gauge. Unless the fixture is in fact providing some type of specified direct intended 'inspection' function, it is not a gauge. Calibration and MSA do not apply. This would be a waste.

I do agree that the fixture should be verified to the drawing and be under a PM program. any worn fixture should be caught and corrected or replaced by a PM program. That is the intent and function of PM...

10. Eric Twiname

Wow...thanks Bev.

I hadn't realized I had misread the OP that badly.
    All of my comments were based on it as a Go-Nogo, not as a holding fixture.

Thanks for catching it! :confused: