1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Layered Process Audits; How to prevent them from being the "Flavor of the Month"

Discussion in 'Process Audits and Layered Process Audits' started by Marcusja2002, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Marcusja2002

Marcusja2002 Member

I have been given the task to implement Layered process audits at my company. After some research I found that Layered process audits were implemented in the past and over time they just stopped. Senior staff informed me "people just lost focus on it".

My question to the forum is, what have you done to keep the audits going sucsessfully, keep all layers of management interested and keep the findings as a high priority?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, even in the plant who lead the LPA implementation, it just became a pencil whipping exercise...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Our LPA started as pencil whipping, but after now it appears to be gaining some traction and some links to reduction of internal quality incidents.

4. Marcusja2002

Marcusja2002 Member

How long did it take for it to move from a pencil whipping exercise to seeing real improvements? Also where did you find your best ideas on how to format the LPA?

5. MCW8888

It took about a year and 1 major NC in the TS audit. Also best formatting ideas were found in CQI-8 and in Cove.

6. Marcusja2002

Marcusja2002 Member

:( so much information lost...

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It's worrying that improving quality incidents comes from LPAs and NOT from proper process controls. I can find nothing to recommend using an LPA, frankly, over proven methods of process controls, created and implemented effectively. If a process is understood, controls effectively established and implemented and supervision does its job, we don't need LPA. The reason for the original program of LPAs is because the organization didn't do any of those things! Launching a product with a 42% FTT and then suggesting LPAs "fixed" this is bizarre and demonstrates a clear lack of understanding root cause.

LPAs become a pencil whipping exercise once there's nothing to fix within the scope of the line - until the next new product trainwreck comes along...

8. MCW8888

Maybe some of the former Covers can share it with you again. I hope so.