1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Goals not met in process?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hi all
    I would like to hear your decision to take when goals are not met when measuring process performance.
    For example in the next three cases of kpis.
    % customer satisfaction , goal =80, result was 79, yearly
    Production rate line 1, goal= 1500 tons, it was 1450, monthly
    % reduction rejects = 50%, result was 40, monthly.
    I know didn't reach the goal, but not sure what to do, if uncompliments were very Little
    Maybe to continue monitoring, and when values are very low, to raise a CA?
    Are there some followed criteria to apply?
    Thanks

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Reflection is always in order when a goal isn’t met. THINK about the causes of missing the goal; in order to actually correct performance we must have a deep understanding of the cause of the failures:
    - was the goal relevant and necessary from a business standpoint or was it arbitrary? Why was a 50% reduction in defects a goal? Waht business need it support? (Often I have found that a % reduction goal is simply arbitrary). Why was a goal of 1500 tons of production a goal? Was that in support of anticipated sales or historical capability?
    - What means were provided to achieve the goals? Were the right resources assigned, effective methods used (training and coaching provided) and regular leadership reviews conducted? Remember that the more frequent the review the better. Frequent reviews are the organizations means of stating the importance of meeting the goals and provide many opportunities to course correct.
    - was a goal missed for a valid business reason? For example if the production goal of 1500 tons awas based on anticipated sales and the sales level was only 1450 tons then the production line met the important goal which was to support sales.

Merely raising a CA is not sufficient, it’s just punitive. What are you going to do to help the organization set and achieve relevant goals? Who are you going to issue teh CA to?

Qualmx, RoxaneB, tony s and 2 others like this.
  3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Review, evaluate, and adjust.

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

CA means "action to eliminate the cause of a nonconformity and to prevent recurrence". So there should be a nonconformity first. Not meeting the goals, I believe, is not a nonconformity. Refer to this thread. I agree with Bev D and Golfman25. You don't have to go through your organization's CA process every time a particular goal is not met.

5. Quality Guy

Quality Guy Member

At times we need to take a second look at the goals we have set for ourselves? Are they realistic? do they matter? We have one particular goal set at zero here. It isn't going to happen, has never happened. But we track it and have data to share with managers and staff that show the importance of a very low number for this situation. Could we bump that number up a bit? Probably, but by keeping it at zero it reinforces the mindset of just how important this item is to us. Your company needs to determine how important those goals are, or if they are attainable. As others have said, no CA for not reaching a goal, just refocus and adjust if needed.

RoxaneB, tony s and Qualmx like this.
  6. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Numbers are just the most superficial of indicators. They do not explain "why," we must investigate.

I agree completely that the investigation should include a question of realistic expectations. I am never going to fit into a size 8 dress, no matter what.

When studying the data and analyzing cause(s) behind its generation, you may identify value-added areas for targeted corrective action. Perhaps you can start with the cause(s) of rejects, and/or the reason for low customer satisfaction?

Qualmx likes this.
  7. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Bev D

Well goals are defined based on history, according to such values, we set new goals looking for improvements in processes.
    At evaluating goals compliment, I just check if goals are met, but find difficult to "tie" how resources, meeting for reviews and so on, I mean taking this approach it seems would cause the system to be cumbersome.
    Imagine, how the responsible could calculate why it was 5% less of the goal and how all issues around here are impacting (resources, training, reviews) couldn´t this be easier, for example:
    to establish a range, according to values to say is ok, just to continue monitoring, to apply contention or corrective actions.
    wouldn´t be better just to have simple reference values to take decisions?

Thanks

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Are they? How did you arrive at this?

9. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Easier? Better?
    A ‘cumbersome’ system?
    Difficult to understand how resources etc. are applied to each goal?

Improving quality is WORK. It’s not about what is easier.

yes you should apply rules of SPC to your tracking of goals,but a job in Quality is more than just being a traffic cop.

I’m sorry but what you are describing is just a surface approach to meeting the requirements of the standard. It is not a serious attempt to improve Quality. Your goals are arbitrary and by your own words, you and your organization seem to just hope that the goals are (magically) met. Raising an NC in this case is simply punitive. YOU must be involved not just a bystander who merely judges the results. Forgive me for being harsh but I’ve listened to this whining for 40 years now. During this same time I have taught lead and driven major quality improvements. My advice will always be to do the hard work, I will not advocate for shortcuts or easier ways to check some box to ‘meet the standard’. The Quality profession must be involved. We must understand how variation works, how goals are set and met, how Problems actually occur adn how to do real root cause analysis and develop solutions that work. This is not easy. This is not simple. As Tom Brady says “Do your job”.

Go back to my post - those are the things that need to be done if you are serious about taking corrective ACTION and serious about improving quality. Anything else is lip service.

RoxaneB, Qualmx, tony s and 2 others like this.
  10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Sadly, many "quality professionals" chose to tread this path. They favor attractive goals and approaches than disciplined hard work.

11. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Best comment ever! (Well, close to) Many people talk with an almost romantic notion about "improvement" as if it appears like apples from a tree. They say things like "OH yes, we did X because it caused an improvement", and they a) did little to no actual work and b) can't tell you the performance before or after the so-called improvement. Pardon me for also getting a little "forceful" too, when I hear auditors suggest "improvements", without a clear understanding of these things, either.

The fact is, improvement isn't fun, sexy or easy. It's work - often hard work.

Qualmx likes this.