1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Transfer of Document Ownership

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Hui Ying, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Hui Ying

Hui Ying New Member

Dear fellows,

Good day to you!

I am given a task in establishing the workflow of transferring the document ownership in my organization. Instead of just obsoleting the document, we are looking into ways to keep the history of the affected document and change its ownership officially.

I drafted a workflow for this purpose. May I have your favourable comments?
    Thank you in advance.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hello, Hui Ying.

To make this document more meaningful, I think it's missing a lot of information. It has a good starting point by saying WHAT needs to be done, but it doesn't include WHO or HOW. For example, HOW is the document initiated and WHO does that? HOW is the notification done and by WHOM? Is it a phone call from the front desk receptionist or an email from you?

HOW is knowledge transfer done? What if it's not an area you're familiar with?

3. Hui Ying

Hui Ying New Member

Dear Roxane,

Appreciate your advice!

We have yet to go into the details of this process so there could be quite a number of missing information :)

Just curious, can we ‘obsolete’ a document to manage the transference of an active document, instead of setting up a process to transfer the ownership of a document?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It seems to me that this should be a simple case of "document change control". What mechanism do you currently use to initiate and process a change? I always advocate the use of some type of change notice - modeled after an engineering change request - which can be used to take care of the change of ownership or anything similar to do with a document. If you are thinking of a unique process, then you are likely making this more complex than it needs to be.

tony s likes this.
  5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

When a document is rendered obsolete, it is because it is no long applicable to the organization.

If your organization is transferring ownership, it sounds as if the document is still required, so rendering it obsolete does not seem applicable here. Or is there more to the story here? :)

To Andy's point, if you have a document revision process in place that includes updating and controlling changes, both transferring ownership of a document and rendering a document obsolete would fall into this process.

tony s and Andy Nichols like this.