1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

3 Year Audit Programme

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Deidre Williams, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Deidre Williams

Deidre Williams New Member

Good day All

I'm looking at a easier way to put my 3 year audit programme together. Any ideas or templates that you are currently using? The one I inherited is messy and a lot of work to change especially adding Audit based on risk.

TIA
    Deidre

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome!

Can I ask why you're trying to do an impossible task?

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day Deidre and welcome to the forum. You will gain considerable wise council on this site (mostly from those far more intelligent than myself).

First: I will assume you are speaking of a Quality Management System audit? (or are you referring to a manufacturing process audit? If so, please advise as my response would be different)

A couple of considerations for you....
    1- Be careful not to get "stuck" in a fixed schedule.
    a) The standard asks (requires) that we adjust based on risk, importance, customer complaints, past performance, etc.....
    b) It also requires us to audit at "planned intervals" (no requirement for a "schedule")

Having said all that, a "schedule" that is reviewed and adjusted based on what I describe in "1-a" can indeed be very helpful to plan for your audits. Be sure to arrange by the PROCESSES that are applicable to your organization and not get stuck auditing to the clause.
    Attached is one option (there are innumerable approaches....none are "right" or "wrong"), of a management system audit plan using the example of a company that makes pizza. In this example, the aspects of the standard may be addressed multiple times (for example, Documented Information would likely be addressed in multiple processes).

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

Nicholas777 likes this.
  4. Deidre Williams

Deidre Williams New Member

Its what my organization have been doing all this time we have one auditor conducting all Systems, Process and Supplier Audits, I agree its an impossible task but this is what they understand the standard requires hence me looking for help on this

5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Don't overthink it. You only have so many processes. Take a look at historical and/or current data to determine risk exposure of each process. Then determine how often you want to audit based on that analysis. You'll likely hit your core processes more frequently than the outliers. As the year moves on, review and adjust as necessary.

judegu likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

We're glad you're here, as John says. So, the fact it seems an impossible task is a clue and, it's not "required" or it would actually state "the organization shall define and document an audit program covering a 3 year period" (or similar). It's a practical impossibility to know what will need auditing - and as you correctly state - especially considering risk, when looking at a 3 year window. And anyone who tells you you can, doesn't tell you you'll alway be adjusting the plan. Wasted work!

You don't even have to have a schedule, as suggested. It's simply not a requirement. What IS required is that audits are planned. Yes, frequency is a consideration, but not all audits need to be done at the same frequency.

Sure, you can compile a calendar and populate certain audits which might be done fairly predictably. These might include audits which are done before the Certification Body comes - everyone cleans house before visitors arrive, right? Nothing wrong with doing an audit of what requirements they plan to audit, including any corrective actions from previous audits, maybe timed at 30 days before.

There may be certain things which happen seasonally which will drive the audit schedule. What happens in the summer? Temporary workers hired to cover for plant staff on vacay?

All other things - in the QMS - can be done to a sliding 30 day window in which you take a look at events planned or happened which are new, changed or no performing as expected. To try to complete an annual plan with all the details of what's going to be audited etc is crazy - you'll always be "changing your mind" - or that's how it will seem. Solicit the input of management.

Product and Manufacturing audits can be done as you decide, based on customer feedback, quality issues, what's running etc.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Deidre Williams likes this.