1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8.4.2.4 Customer disruptions at the receiving plant

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by John C. Abnet, Jun 3, 2019.

1. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day all;
    I came across an old thread on Elsmar, where someone asked the following 2 questions...
    1- Can anyone explain the meaning of "8.4.2.4 " Customer disruptions at the receiving plant, including yard holds and stop ships"

2- Here, does the customer mean our company or our customer?

I can not find where a solid response has been given to this question, so I am posting it here. What say y'all?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Is that "All y'all"?

Clearly, the intent is to avoid the cost associated with parts arriving and possibly getting into product (cars, trucks) which then have to be quarantined and reworked. As you will know, John, there's a "pay point" at the end of the assembly line and (several) cash registers ring if the product makes it over that line (5 or 6 registers). Customers don't want to pay for yard holds etc and not get paid.

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Definitely been spending too much time around my Clarksdale, MS friends... starting to pick up the lingo.

I agree with your response Andy. I wanted at least one other set of "eyes" to look at this and give input, so thank you. Yes, the OEM that I spent most of my career working with called it "down ship" and was/is exactly as you describe.

This is another situation wherein the IATF team could have added some clarity. (customer is defined in ISO 9000:2015, and can include internal customers, receipt from suppliers, etc..etc...) IATF simply uses the term "customer", which can (does) certainly cause confusion for some.

Thanks for your input.

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.