1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

9.2 QA activities Outsourced Internal Audit to be conducted BEFORE or AFTER Management Review?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Micheal Lenka, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Richard Billings

Richard Billings Active Member

One reason we require process managers to respond to OFIs in writing is because if the person performing the audit feels intimidated by area management or is unsure if the issue does warrant a NCR he can issue an OFI. Each calendar quarter the Internal Audit supervisor is required to review every OFI and of the OFIs is determined to be a NCi it is imedatel raised to NC status and a NCR is issued immediately. We don't use the Major or Minor categories. We treat all NCs the same way. So far this year we have completed audits of 8 processes in Operations and there has been 2 NCRs issued and subsequently closed, and 11 OFIs have been responded to and cleared.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

This is really worrying, on soooo many levels.

3. Richard Billings

I agree that it is worrying but it's basic human nature particularly for an auditor who works for the company he is auditing. Some managers take everything personal, I'm sure you know the type " Who are you to tell ME it's wrong". Many times the arrogant, loud-mouthed manager gets his way. The auditor covers himself by raising the issue as an OFI.

4. Andy Nichols

Not any place I've been and trained auditors. For a start, auditors shouldn't be telling management things are wrong! I'm going to predict that your internal audit program is based a lot on external audit practices, which elicit such responses...

5. Richard Billings

The use of 'wrong' was just pulled off the top of my head. The auditor would use other terms like "It is non-conforming', or 'defective', etc. We have a great Internal Audit process that is supported by Top Management completely. We also ensure that managers and staff work as a team. Management at all levels encourage their people to find errors and report them so "we can get it right" . I've always believed that a successful audit process is only possible when the adversarial attitude is removed completely. Even for CB audits we tell the auditor's up front if there are serious quality issues that we know about and are working to correct.

6. Andy Nichols

I'm interested to learn more. It's such a rare thing and I've yet to encounter this in 25+ years of working in the ISO 9001 implementation environment, with hundreds of companies. Tell me/us more, please...

I've started a new thread for this topic specifically

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If the auditor has the expertise in the function and has clear understanding of your method/approach and the areas where it can still be improved, OFIs can be beneficial. ISO/IEC 17021-1:2015, in section 9.4.8, has this statement re: OFIs:
    "The certification body shall provide a written report for each audit to the client. The audit team may identify opportunities for improvement but shall not recommend specific solutions".
    In ISO 19011:2018, there are only two types of audit findings based on this definition:
    audit findings
    results of the evaluation of the collected audit evidence (3.9) against audit criteria (3.7)
    Note 1 to entry: Audit findings indicate conformity (3.20) or nonconformity (3.21).
    Note 2 to entry: Audit findings can lead to the identification of risks, opportunities for improvement or recording good practices.

There are ISO 9000 standard definitions for conformity and nonconformity. Unfortunately, there's no ISO 9000 standard definition for OFI. Hence, the confusion. IMHO, OFIs are not NCs. I based this position using the definition of the automotive sector's Rules for Achieving and Maintaining IATF Recognition (5th Ed), which specifies that:
    "An opportunity for improvement is a situation where the evidence presented indicates a requirement has been effectively implemented, but based on auditor experience and knowledge, additional effectiveness or robustness might be possible with a modified approach".

8. Andy Nichols

Yup - dangerous at best...

9. Richard Billings

For internal audit purposes we do things slightly different from that which is covered by ISO19011:2018. All NCs are classified the same (no Minor or Major choice). We have eliminated the possibility of a process NC being classified as an OFI by making Managers respond in writing/email as to how they dealt with the OFI. We did this because on reviewing numerous audit reports we came to the conclusion that many OFIs were actually NC's. The auditor's were not 'soft-grading' it was just how they were describing the OFI. The QC Spervisor still reviews audit reports but now he looks closely at OFIs before signing off the QC inspection plan - we sample 25% of reports and hopefully that rate will fall soon but any reduction will be based on variables.

10. Andy Nichols

Huh?

11. Richard Billings

All processes are inspected and Internal Audit reporting is a process, we have guidelines to be followed. Incorrect classification of OFIs and NCs is only part of what is inspected. In our organization no process is exempt from a minimum of an annual audit.

12. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Can you or the QC Supervisor just train the internal auditors on the proper classification of audit findings so you don't need an extra step just to validate the audit reports? Usually, a wrap-up meeting is administered with the auditee/s to discuss the highlights of the audit activity. This will include the audit findings (i.e. conformity and nonconformity), including OFIs and good practices. This is usually done prior to writing of the formal reports. If the reports are to be screened first by the QC Supervisor to correct improper classification, this stalls the audit process and may affect the results that were discussed during the wrap-up meeting.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  13. Richard Billings

I don't know how many people you have doing Internal Audits but read some of their reports concentrate in particular on OFIs and see how many are actually NCs. It may surprise you.

14. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

If you're suggesting that some of the OFIs should be NCs (or vice versa), then I suggest that there is a:

1. Need for improvement in feedback provided to the internal auditor, included the need for retraining (where appropriate/feasible/practical) or even the removal of the internal auditor from the pool (i.e., It's the Jim Collins' adage of 'the right people on the right bus in the right seat and in the right position' - not everyone is suitable for being an internal auditor); - OR -,
    2. Potential for streamlining the internal audit process by ensuring that no internal audit is closed and no report issued PRIOR to each finding being confirmed, ideally before the Closing Meeting (if there is one).

Daniel Padilla T and tony s like this.
  15. Andy Nichols

Not if they haven't been determined as competent. Having supervised a number of auditors, I'd never turn out a person to audit anything without them demonstrating to me they knew what they were doing. Once that's established, you don't need to check - and certainly not "comparison of grading" type checks.

Daniel Padilla T and tony s like this.
  16. Richard Billings

I think I indicated in an earlier post that it really doesn't matter if the auditor makes a mistake and identifies a NC as an OFI because managers must reply in writing to every OFI stating what they did to deal with it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  17. Andy Nichols

How odd.

18. Richard Billings

It's not odd it's smart audit management.

19. Andy Nichols

Not in my experience.

20. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Isn't this a bit taxing to the managers? OFIs are supposed to be recommendatory and not mandatory. Section 6.4.10 of ISO 19011:2018 has this statement: "If specified by the audit objectives, opportunities for improvement recommendations may be presented. It should be emphasized that recommendations are not binding".

OFIs are not NCs. Though not for internal audit, i believe the statement in Section 9.4.5 of ISO/IEC 17021-1:2015 is also applicable i.e. "Opportunities for improvement may be identified and recorded, unless prohibited by the requirements of a management system certification scheme. Audit findings, however; which are nonconformities, shall not be recorded as opportunities for improvement".

You may need to consider Roxane's no. 1 suggestion. Try to get some feedback from the managers on whether they are comfortable of receiving OFIs that they are mandated to deal with.

Daniel Padilla T likes this.