1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Profile of a Surface - Tube

Discussion in 'GD&T Standards and Practices - ASME & ISO' started by Dennis Biesma, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Dennis Biesma

Dennis Biesma New Member

I have a question concerning a Profile of a Surface callout on a print. I've attached a .png that shows the drawing (dimensions changed to protect me). However, I am not understanding how to apply the Profile of a surface callout to the part (Balloon #7).

Please note that above balloon #4 there is a circled "B2", and below balloon #6, there is a circled "B1", which I did not put into my snagged excel rendering.

Thanks in advance for any explanation that I can understand.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

Balloon 7 only applies to balloon 2 since the rest of the geometry is controlled. It is the same as saying 160.40 ± .15

Additionally the position note (balloon 5) is really controlling perpendicularity.

I highly suspect the selection of datum A does not represent actual function and that the "designer" is simply decorating this print with GD&T without a true understanding of what it says or means. Good luck getting them to fix it.

3. Dennis Biesma

Dennis Biesma New Member

Thank you, kind sir. You're both a gentleman and a scholar. Not necessarily in that order, but possibly.