1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Guidance Needed: ISO 9001:2015

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by katiesummer123, Jan 25, 2019.

1. katiesummer123

katiesummer123 New Member

Hi Everyone.

Im new to this forum-
    I currently work for a demolition company and they want to gain IS0 9001.
    The thing is i have absolutely no idea where to start as i have never done this before.
    The company who we are helping us train have only been in once and to be honest it was alot to take in when he was trying to explain we i need to do.

The trainer sent me this:

4 Context of the organization
    Understanding the organization and its context
    Documents Related:

· Strategic Direction of the business.

· Needs and Expectations of interested parties.

· Scope of the business (will be confirmed at the stage 1 visit).

· Ultimately this section of the 9001 standard is a opportunity for Inglenorth to demonstrate the knowledge of the business regarding to External and Internal issues that reflect the business.

· Establish the main processes and have the Procedures and process flow maps the support them.

· Document as evidence all above.

5 Leadership
    Top Management Shall demonstrate leadership and commitment:

· Roles and Responsibilities, ensuring staff understand their roles and responsibilities.

· Ensure Policies are signed and communicated.

· Ensure Customer focus is monitored and measured.

6 Planning
    Documents Related:

· Ensure Risk and Opportunities are identified, communicated and mitigated against.

· Set Business objective.

· Set Quality, Environmental and Health and Safety objectives that are measurable, monitored and indicate the potential resources required to meet the objective.

· Flow diagram for potential change to the business.

7 Support
    Documents Related:

· Infrastructure, Maintenance logs including Hardware and Software. Who maintains them and when.

· Vehicle maintenance Records.

· Personnel Records including the records of competence of the sub-contractors.

· Competence of Employees including all Education, training and internal training that employees have conducted.

· Induction to the business and Health and Safety.

· Notice boards.

· Training records.

· Internal and External Communication explained in a simple process flow diagram.

· Simple process for selection of Supplier/Subcontractor process.

8 Operation
    Document Related:

· Design and Development process flow map and followed.

· Ensure design and development covers – Planning stage, Input from clients, Control, Output against requirements, Change management.

· Identification and traceability of stock items.

· Post delivery activities to learn from what you have done, including customer satisfaction and post project close out and review.

9 Performance evaluation
    · Customer Satisfaction is monitored and measured for improvement.

· Internal Audit – Start thinking about who you want to conduct internal Audits. They mus be Impartial.

· Management Review – Ensure complies with the requirements of the International Standard and covers the issue, the discussion and the action.

10 Improvement
    · Close out of NCR’s in accordance with your own procedure. Problems and Improvements must be raised and closed out with investigation to determine the root cause and the preventative measure.

· Simple process flow map that defines how you intend to deal with problems.

Can someone PLEASE give me some advice on what i need to do or what documents i need,
    also when Im going to senior staff they are saying they dont know either. They are putting pressure on me to do this and i want to do it but its hard when i dont know where to start.

I would appreciate any help i really would.

Thank you-

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Katie! You're in good hands here.

What these folks have given you isn't much help it appears. Have they done this before, do you know?;) From what they sent, I don't believe they have!

Please obtain a copy of ISO/TS 9002 which is quite useful guidance. For example it talks about using a SWOT or PEST(LE) analysis for much of section 4.

May I ask where you are located?

Andy

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Do you have a copy of the standard? Get one. Do a gap analysis against the standard to see where you currently stand. Then add from there.

4. Andy Nichols

Katie:

Let's look at this one by one:

The ISO standard is asking management to look at where the company is going/wants to be in 12, 24, 36 months time (for example) and what things (internal and external) might impact that. So, let's say that finding skilled demolition workers, (who know how to prep a site, what equipment to use, how to work through the demo and finish up the site to the agreed spec) is difficult and you need more to grow the business. How do you address this? Your management might decide to develop a plan to train school leavers. This understanding of the Context can come from a SWOT or PEST analysis. Plus, understanding who are interested parties and what they want from your services:

Clients, management/owners, workers, suppliers etc. (think quality of demo services, not HSE. Just "did you do a good job?"

The most applicable place to document this is in your management review (in compliance with section 9). Nothing to do with procedures, or process flows or such like.

What should happen is to take a look at the SWOT and determine what to work on - through section 6 Planning. Using the training example, who is going to develop the "apprenticeship" program? By when etc.

tony s likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Develop "Process Owners". This is a fairly natural thing which happens in most businesses. Someone on the leadership team "owns" the sales process - quoting a demolition job, scoping the site, working with a client to work out how the site should be left at the completion of the work. Usually involves quoting, reconciling the received contract/agreement against the quote and any change orders. Same for the other core processes of the business. Some new processes, which ISO 9001 requires may need a "new" process owner. Process Owners know:

The ISO 9001 requirement(s) (like 8.2 for sales)
    The company process(es) they own
    The goals and objectives for the process (quote turn around) and how current results of the process/goal
    The actions necessary to correct the process (if below goal) or improve the process(es)

People who carry out the various processes should know what they are responsible and have authority for.

A Quality policy should be aligned with the Context. Don't create a policy which commits to "Exceeding customer expectations" for example (unless you are Apple!)

6. Andy Nichols

Links to issues in section 4. How do you plan to address the issues? How is the the QMS to be used? Does a new process need to be developed and implemented? In the training example, the process for onboarding a new employee who has demolition expertise is quite different to developing a person's skills over a period of time.

Establish Quality objectives: These start with understanding that jobs should be done "right first time and on time". Customers don't want you to be on site late/early, or coming back to rectify the site for some reason. So, look at the core processes and determine suitable objectives.

ISO 9001 is about Quality so unless you have ISO 14001 and ISO 45001, keep away from environmental and safety policies/objectives!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  7. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @katiesummer123 and welcome to the site;

Based on our limited understanding of what you were given (i.e. what you posted here), I don't see how that could help someone new to this (i.e. you and your organization) get to where you need to be.

Also, I'm always concerned when I see comments such as "...I have absolutely no idea where to start" . Hopefully by "I" you mean "we" and you are being fully supported by top management and not left on an island to accomplish this (which I see far too often.)

@Andy Nichols has provided you with some great information but obviously it is not possible to give you complete direction here in this post. I would, however, provide the following oversimplification, which may help you....

4- Context of the organization
    Identify the following: Who are you (your organization) , WHAT do you do, WHO cares, and WHAT do they care about

5- Leadership
    Identify responsibilities (ensuring Top Management takes ultimate responsibility)

6- Planning
    Considering what was identified in "4", plan to achieve ..(including establishing goals and objectives and identifying any RISKS, which could prevent you from achieving those goals and any OPPORTUNITIES which would help you.)

7- Resources
    Gather what and who you need to achieve the plans you've identified in "6" and ensure all are properly equipped.

8-Operation
    Do what you do and do it under controlled situations. (i.e. Utilize what/who you gathered in "7" to meet the goals identified in "6")

9- Performance evaluation
    Measure how well you did. (i.e. did what you do in "8" achieve the plans and goals you established in "6" ?)

10- Improvement
    Fix what's broke and continue to raise the bar on what you do.

I would also echo @Andy Nichols question and ask --- where are you located?

Hope this helps.

Be well

judegu likes this.
  8. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

John C. Abnet likes this.